Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

i found a small pea sized painless lump on the inside of my

Customer Question

i found a small pea sized painless lump on the inside of my left thigh about an inch from the top of my leg. Its just under the skin and in the fat on my leg. I had blood tests in September just for a general check up and everything came back normal except for i had high iron in my blood. I have lost about 2 stone since then through diet and exercise. Any idea what it could be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Any idea how long it's been there? Is it moveable and is it hard or more spongy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure how long its been there. only found it 2 days ago. its hard and it doesnt move from the spot its in.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK It could be a sebaceous cyst and not really a serious problem, but it could be something called calcinosis cutis which is a calcium deposition under the skin and that can indicate a high serum calcium level as is seen in an overactive parathyroid gland. You need to have your doctor look at this and see if a check of your serum calcium and parathyroid hormone level is in order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When i had blood tests in september the results from my doctor said my thyroid gland was at a normal level, not sure if it is the same as the parathyroid gland,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--there are four parathyroid glands behind the thyroid gland and they are different from the thyroid. And usual lab work wouldn't include a parathryoid hormone level.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what would happen if an overactive parathyroid went untreated and what are the treatments for it

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
High calcium levels can lead to osteoporosis, kidney stones, heart disease and high blood pressure. Usually there is a parathyroid adnoma in one of the four glands--a benign tumor--and the treatment is to surgically remove that one gland