How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 30720
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I have been diagnoised with Eagles Syndrome by my ENT.

Customer Question

Hello I have been diagnoised with Eagles Syndrome by my ENT. I have no pain no symtoms. It came up during a CT scan of the head/neck area. We were looking for lymph nodes. Everything is fine/normal. The surprise was the finding of calcification of the stylo liagment. I need more clarity on what the symptoms are? is there a risk of stroke? I would assume that if it was pressing on something dangerous it would have been noted on the scan. If I don't have any symptoms should i have surgery? It was not recommended at this time. Is an ENT the right specialist to do this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
If you have no symptoms why was the ct done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Dr. Chip. The CT was done because of a possible mass/lymph node issue near the parotid gland. It turns out the structures are "normal" but a little pronounced due to tmj. The calcification of the stylo was found by surprise.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. The symptoms of Eagle's syndrome are somewhat nonspecific but they include head and neck pain, facial pain, sinus pain, throat pain. If you have no symptoms then by definition you really don't have the syndrome, just the anatomical findings that can cause the syndrome. There's no risk for stroke here. If it did start to cause pain, usually conservative treatment with antiinflammatories and cortisone injections is elected first and surgery is considered only if those modalities are ineffective for the pain. And, yes, an ENT is the proper specialist for this.