Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I had a Pilonidal cyst when I was 12 or 15. I remember it

I had a Pilonidal cyst when I was 12 or 15. I remember it being lanced, and had to heal from the inside out. It was cleaned and packed daily and eventually healed. Oh man did it ever hurt.

I am 64 today and am starting to hurt again, very similar to the Pilonidal cyst pain I remember. It is possible for the cyst to return?

What might I do today, if anything, to help that pain and to avert a return of the Pilonidal cyst?
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Yes it is very possible for you to have a returning Pilonidal cyst to return.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to prevent them...I'm sure you know what causes these nasty little cysts but I'll tell you anyway. It is thought that the tiny hairs that are in that area try to come through the skin but with sitting or just your clothes rubbing against your skin can cause irritation. That irritation causes enlargement of the follicle and from there the swelling and infection starts. (you using the tailbone cushion should help too)

The main thing right now is to wash that area well and keep it dry. Try to wear very loose clothing and you can take some Advil for the pain. Advil has anti-inflammatory properties so this might help to decrease 'some' of the inflammation and 'might' help to prevent it from becoming full blown (hope so) but as you know there is no gaurantees with these things.

I hope yours does not become full blown and you have to have it lanced.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Hi--just to let you know, the treatment for a pilonidal cyst is marsupialization--the cyst is opened, and the edges of the skin are everted--turned inside out--to keep the cyst cavity permanently opened so it will not recur. I don't suggest you try to deal with this at home--see a doctor about, since it may need to be drained and quite often these don't drain on their own.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My god doc! Marsupialization "sounds" more threatening than pilonidal cyst. My computer dictionary doesn't even carry this word.

Currently, I feel fine "back there" if I do not sit on it. Are you aware of any process or procedure a person my perform to avoid the actually development of a pilonidal cyst?

I do not feel any pain other than when I actually apply pressure back there by sitting. But I know that pain from my childhood.

Well, of course, we're assuming this is a pilonidal cyst and if it's just a case of an infected sebaceous cyst or folliculitis--hair shaft infection--surgery isn't necessary if it drains on its own. If it is just a simple cyst, after the infection resolves, to prevent it from becoming infected again, it should be excised under local anesthesia. If the pain resolves, for now, no need to see a doctor.

Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice