Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I started taking Singulair for Allergic Rhinitis. I took it

I started taking Singulair for Allergic Rhinitis. I took it for a week or so knowing that diarhea could be a side effect. I did in fact experience some mild diarhea but continuted to take it. Then one day the diarhea suddenly worsened along with severe pain in upper abdomin and vomiting. I saw a medic who said "It's going around" I stopped taking the Singulair. The pain subsided but the diarhea lasted for 10 days. I went to the doctor and he said, "It's going around". The vomiting was on and off for two weeks. Then I experienced stomach discomfort, indigestion and heartburn for a few days. I am starting to feel back to normal but I dont' know if I should start the Singulair again. Is it possible all that was caused by the Singulair? Could it have been food poisoning? Thank you for any help in advance. :)
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

While viruses can last up to 10 days or longer, it is more unlikely than the norm. Yours sounds like or of a case of possible food poisoning. Singulair can cause stomach upset but not to this degree. This sounds like a case of coincidence where you were taking the medication and having mild stomach upset then you either got a virus or food poisoning and it made it seems as though the medication caused it. While we can't be 100% sure it wasn't, it surely isn't likely (not to this degree).

I would go ahead and go back on the Singulair and hopefully this time you won't even have the diarrhea.

Reply back if I can help further!