How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Susan Ivy Your Own Question
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4058
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
Type Your Health Question Here...
Susan Ivy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Early intervention was prescribed by my grandsons dr. at his

This answer was rated:

Early intervention was prescribed by my grandson's dr. at his 12 mo visit because he was not meeting certain milestones ie not sitting up..not crawling..not holding own bottle..not feeding himself..not standing..not walking. My daughter was moving to my residence at the time in another state but it is now four months later and she still has not changed over her residence so she can get this needed healthcare and a dr. Now at 16 mo old my grandson still cannot crawl..walk..stand on his own..pull up..feed himself (still on baby food)..hold bottle/cup..speak real words..immitate signs like bye-bye. They do nothing with him to help and he is placed in a chair for hours in frint of a tv. He has virtually no interaction with anyone besides his parents and me. They keep him up til 2 or 3 am so he will sleep the entire day away cuz it suits their schedule. I have consulted a lawyer to gain custody. They are living with me because of an eviction so i am providing fir them all tho my daughter works. She contributes nothing. Parents are unmarried and 29 and 31. You opinion?

I have a back ground in Child and Adolescent psychiatric nursing as well as pediatric nursing.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

Thank goodness the child has you advocating for him.

For any child, it is important that the early years be filled with proper physical and mental stimulation since this is when the brain is forming. What occurs in these early years will effect the child for the rest of their life.

When there are delays, as there appears to be in the case of your grandchild, it is critical that evaluation be done as soon as possible, so that a plan can be put in place and resources obtained. If an intensive program is started, there is a good chance the child can overcome some of these delays (of course depending on the underlying cause). If a program is not started early, it becomes much harder to overcome the delays, as the brain begins to rapidly lose the excess of neuronal connections that it is born with. Un-used neurons are eliminated and the flexibility to learn basic language and other skills declines rapidly after the toddler years. The brains is like a 'sponge' n the capacity to learn in early childhood, but if the basic pathways are not put in place early on, then advances later in life are much more difficult (to put it in very simple terms). Of course, if basic emotional needs are not met at this age, an ability to form normal attachments will be damaged as well.

The child needs to see not a pediatrician, and will likely be referred to a pediatric neurologist and a developmental psychologist for evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment plan.

It is possible many of these delays are from lack of stimulation, if the child is neglected as you mention - and being set in front of a TV without without human interaction for hours is one form of neglect.

I would think that you have a strong case to gain custody, based on what you have mentioned. And especially so, if the parents do not get on the ball and take parenting classes and chance their interaction.

Now, I don't see that you have a specific question, and you have asked for an opinion. I am not sure if I have provided you with the information that you need.

How else can I help you? Please do reply with any additional questions you may have, rather than rate me, unless you are happy with my answer.

I will be standing by to look for your reply.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4058
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Susan Ivy and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my question was answered...whether i had a good case for neglect and gain custody. How do i document all these delays since he hasnt seen a dr in over four months?i was at the 12 mi visit and heard the drs orders .
Thank you.

I saw a few minor errors in my answer too late to fix (the 6th paragraph should be 'the child, not only needs to see a pediatrician... " rather than 'to see not a pediatrician'
and in:
'if the parents do not get on the ball and take parenting classes and chance their interaction.' The word 'chance' should have been change. (Sorry about that.)

For documentation, there are a couple of things that should work. Filming of the child will show the delays, if you are able to do so. I believe a basic video camera can be had fairly inexpensively.

Another check up would provide additional documentation. Hopefully you will be able to get the child in to at least a clinic like a local health dept soon, because government funded resources are available for children if there is no insurance (you can put your zip code into this finder to find a low cost or free clinic in your area: click HERE for the link). Regular pediatric check ups have basic developmental screening test that will be kept in the medical record which could possibly be subpoenaed for a court case.

Here at JustAnswer/Pearl we also have a legal section and one of the attorneys would be more qualified to give you advice on documentation. I'm not sure if you would like to consult someone here to get more information on how to handle this situation, if you are already paying for an attorney. Our attorneys can provide only general information, but they are very helpful in many situations.

I am still available if you have more questions or need clarification of anything I have mentioned.

I certainly wish you the best and would be interested in hearing of the outcome as well as providing any other suggestions or advice you might need in this process.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
< Previous | Next >
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ
  • I have been dealing with an extremely serious health crisis for over three years, and one your physicians asked me more questions, gave me more answers and encouragement than a dozen different doctors who have been treating me!! Janet V Phoenix, AZ

Meet The Experts:

  • Family Physician

    Family Physician

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
< Last | Next >
  • Family Physician's Avatar

    Family Physician

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
  • Nurse Milli, RN's Avatar

    Nurse Milli, RN

    Nurse (RN)

    Satisfied Customers:

    20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
  • Dr. Ketch's Avatar

    Dr. Ketch


    Satisfied Customers:

    Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University
  • Dr. Arun Phophalia's Avatar

    Dr. Arun Phophalia

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
  • A. Schuyler, NP's Avatar

    A. Schuyler, NP

    Nurse Practitioner

    Satisfied Customers:

    Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
  • Dr. Mark's Avatar

    Dr. Mark

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
  • Dr. Gupta's Avatar

    Dr. Gupta

    Doctor (MD)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.

Related Health Questions