Andy PhD DABT
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience:  Board certified with 17 years in research or consulting

Are there any clinical trials in DC area for DCIS? I had a

Are there any clinical trials in DC area for DCIS? I had a breast lumpectomy in September, 2012 but my surgeon said my margins are not clean and recommends a mastectomy. I'm seeing a wellness/chiropractor for nutritional health because he says that my abnormal cells can be reversed. What do you think? Do I need a second opinion?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Greetings Linda.

Did your doctor also discuss the other options like radiotherapy, hormonal therapy or chemotherapy?

Dr. Arun

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Nutrition and "detox" treatments can not "reverse" the abnormal cells of your DCIS. The abnormal cells in DCIS have had their DNA mutated, there is no way that this can be reversed. The idea that nutrition can cure cancer is a red flag that the practitioner who is telling you this is not a legitimate physician, but an alternative medicine "doctor". Alternative medicine is not based on scientific evidence and has not been proven to work, thus it is alternative. It is legal in the U.S. to practice alternative medicine because of a bad law called the Dietary Supplement and Health Education Act (http://www.quackwatch.org/02ConsumerProtection/dshea.html), as well as old laws on homeopathy, however it is not ethical medicine, because they have no proof that the "treatments" they use actually work. In fact many alternative medicine "doctors" refuse to have their so called treatments scientifically tested since they can't patent their "treatments" and so there is no financial incentive to do so. Instead they claim that they "know" it works. I highly recommend you get a second opinion, there any many additional treatment options for you at this point. DCIS is a very early stage of breast cancer and can easily be treated by conventional medicine (http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-031941.pdf see page 9). There is no need to consider clinical trials at this point, DCIS is very treatable, with a 5 year survival rate from conventional treatments of about 99%. Please get a second opinion from a conventional physician. Seeing an alternative medicine "doctor" for cancer is a bad idea, because if you put off conventional treatments, which are proven to work, you could allow your cancer to develop into a more serious and less treatable grade of cancer.

Just out of curiosity, is the wellness/chiropractor you are seeing located in Fairfax Virginia?

Please stick with conventional medicine, DCIS is very treatable and alternative medicines have no evidence of actually working.

Take care,
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience: Board certified with 17 years in research or consulting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well that's good to hear that they're are other options but such as what? My beast surgeon thinks that I should have a mastectomy which I do not want and she don't think it's necessary to repeat the mammogram.

The DC, wellness doctor believes that eating cruciferous veggies put a stop to abnormal cancer cells. I was reading online that strawberries are my best friend. This doctor is not in Fairfax, VA but he has been seen on the news. He does know what he's talking about because he took one look at me and knew that I have a thyroid problem (adrenal) so that needs to be corrected but I've been taking synthroid for several years and gained a lot of weight.

Expert:  Andy PhD DABT replied 1 year ago.
Your best option will depend on your exact situation (positive or negative for estrogen receptor, HER2, and BRACA), so getting a second opinion with an oncologist is needed. However in a general sense your options would be to have the lumpectomy repeated with wider margins, i.e. taking more tissue, but not a total mastectomy; a total mastectomy; local radiation; chemotherapy; passive immunotherapy; hormonal therapy; or a combination of these options. Since DCIS is a very early stage cancer, local radiation may be all that is needed.

Eating lots of fruit and vegetables is a good thing no matter what your situation is, so I am not discouraging you from doing that, please keep it up. I am saying that foods can't alter the course of your disease. Cells in your breast have had their DNA mutated which has caused them to act abnormal and form your DCIS. There is no way to reverse this process. What you can do is remove the abnormal cells and that is what conventional treatments do, they kill or slow the growth of the abnormal cells. There is no data that shows any particular diet can stop abnormal cancer cells. Diet helps to reduce your risk of developing cancer, antioxidants partially prevent mutations from occurring in the first place, but once a mutation has occurred antioxidants will have no effect on those mutations. I am sorry, but any doctor who tells you fruits and vegetables will stop cancer cells is acting unethically. Please do not let this wellness doctor discourage you from deciding to get a second opinion by a conventional oncologist. You need to take care of this with methods that actually work, the longer you put off real treatment, the higher the changes are that it will no longer be DCIS and will become an invasive cancer. DCIS is easy to treat, but you must treat it correctly.

I understand you have faith in your wellness doctor and I probably will not be able to convince you otherwise. However, what they are telling you is incorrect.

Take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You're a toxicologist? Oh boy, I have so many questions!

1. Thanks for your advice

2. I'll talk it over with my doctors

3. Now I have another situation: Can someone put substances in your food to cause stomach bloating and low potassium levels?

4. I had problems with hypokalemia before and don't know why because I take potassium supplements prescribed by my MD. I thought the person that was living with me was trying to make me sick!

5. I saw movies on Lifetime whereas people would put substances in a person's food or drink to poison them. My stomach should not blow up after drinking a kale shake, for instance, it never got bloated before an individual came inside my home so I'm thinking they put something inside my kale powder before I mixed it in the blender with water. Also my heart rate increased like it was a stimulant and I felt off balance. What is that?

Low potassium levels could be caused by several chemicals. These include some antibiotics, corticosteroids, some asthma medications, some diuretics, laxatives, high sodium levels, heavy exercise, vomiting, and some herbal teas that contain licorice. Kale has a lot of fiber which can cause bloating and high levels of sodium can also cause a bloating feeling. Antibiotics can disrupt the microbial environment in your gut and cause bloating too. However, it is impossible for me to tell if you were poisoned and if so, by what.

Sorry I couldn't give you a specific answer.

Take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I also noticed that my face breaks out in 4 or 5 pimples afters consuming food or drink around certain people and I don't have any allergies. So could it be acid pills they're putting in my food?

No, putting acid in your food would not cause pimples. Why do you feel you are being poisoned, is someone mad at you? Has the doctor who is prescribing potassium supplements given you an explanation for the low potassium? Are your sodium levels high or low? Are you taking any medications or have any significant medical history?

Take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My ex-boyfriend seems bitter towards me because I asked him to move out due to his too much alcohol consumption. I am taking a high blood pressure medication; a dieuretic but my sodium levels have been normal along with everything else in my CBC.

Can you tell me which high blood pressure medication you are taking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm taking triemterene for high blood pressure. But my face shouldn't be breaking out from eating certain foods that I leave in the fridge overnight? I ate some spinach and peed all night and became dehydrated. I think he put something in there because I'm taking potassium supplements too but when I went to the hospital, my potassium level was 2.8.

The only real way you can tell if someone is putting a poison in your food is to have your food tested. What you might consider is eating most, but not all of a particular food and saving part of it. If you feel bad after you have eaten the food then have the part you saved tested. It would be best to save a little bit of your food from several different places on your plate, such as a little bit from the top right corner of your plate, a little bit from the middle, a little bit from the bottom left corner, etc... That way you will have a good representation of what you ate in case the poison was only placed in one spot on your food. Keep it for a day or two until you are sure you haven't gotten sick from it. If you do get sick you should ask the police or health department to test the food. They will need to do some extraction of your food and run it on either a gas chromotography and mass spectroscopy machine (GC/MS) or a high pressure liquid chromotography with mass spectroscopy machine (HPLC/MS). That will be able to "look" for several different chemicals and give you a positive identification if something noticeable has been added to your food. That is the only way to determine for sure if someone is poisoning you. You could also have the same tests run on your blood, but if something is found it would not say for sure if it got into your body from the food you ate.

Good luck, take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. Now my hair is falling out and I'm not on chemotherapy. I was reading on the internet that heavy metal poisons
such as arsenic, can cause hair loss. He could have tampered with my hair products too. I know this sounds bizarre but this stuff don't just happen in movies! Will the police have my food or hair products tested? Also, I was thinking of getting a security camera because I don't know if he or someone he knows is coming in my apartment even though I changed the locks, some people are sneaky you know. This is really a damn shame!

I would think the police would test your food. If you did have a video of someone putting something on your food then they would be more likely to test your food. I think the security camera would be a good idea.

Take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it's been a little while since I replied but to catch you up on things, I did finally have the second opinion and moved foward with the breast surgery again. Thanks for your advice. The surgery was successful! Now my doctor is talking about radiation but if my margins are clear now, why the radiation? I want to finally have a baby over the next one year or at least start planning to have a child.

Also I called the police yesterday and the officer told me that they don't test for arsenic, why? My doctor did test my urine last week; 24-hour test. She called me yesterday with the results! To my surprise she said that they found organic arsenc in my urine, the kind from seafood. Well what? I said what? She said to stay away from shellfish but I don't eat a lot of seafood. About 2 weeks ago I did have some steamed shrimp and Alaskan crab legs from a seafood place but not that much. This is really crazy and scary. So now I'm wondering about my hair products as well. I knew something was not right because my face would break out into pimples like tdoay for example, then tomorrow, they're gone! Surprised

Hi again,

I'm very glad you had the surgery done and have clean margins, that is great news!!! Yes radiation is often used after surgery. Even if the margins seem clear, it may not be on a microscopic scale. The surgeon cuts out the tumor that they can see with their eyes, but they can't look at your surgical site microscopically and see if there are any tumor cells left. So the term "clear/clean margins" is not an accurate term, it means that as best they can tell there are no tumor cells left, but there could be a few that can't be seen. So radiation is done after surgery as a precaution to kill any stray tumor cells that might have been missed. It's a good idea to go ahead with the radiation just to be safe. It will be local radiation only applied to the area around the surgical site, so the side effects should be minimal, it should not affect your ability to have children since your ovaries should not be irradiated.

Arsenic can also some from other sources, like if you have well water in certain locations or from some occupations. Can you tell me what the level of arsenic was, if you have well water, and what your occupation is?

Take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'll get the MRI done first like the radiation oncologist said. She said that my breasts can appear smaller due to the radiation and my skin can turn darker. Also I may become a little tired so that's why I was skeptical too. As far as my occupation, I work from home as an Avon Sales Rep and I live in an apartment building not far from the metro. No well water, I use my faucet water in my kitchen and bathroom. I live in Washington, DC so there aren't any wells that I'm aware of. The normal level of organic arsenic is 0-50, my doctor said and mine was 65. How could this be so? Surprised

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

The arsenic could be coming from food. Rice, mushrooms, and chicken are a little higher than average in arsenic. Also, if you are taking any dietary supplements or herbs from your wellness/chiropractor, those supplements might have high levels of arsenic. Supplements and herbals don't need to meet the high manufacturing standards that drugs do, so arsenic and other heavy metals and many other things can end up in those. I would consider stop taking anything like that. Your levels don't seem high enough to consider that you are being deliberately poisoned, they would likely be higher if that was occurring.

Take care,
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist