Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

I have a hernia incisional abdominal as a result of surgery

I have a hernia incisional abdominal as a result of surgery 3 months ago. The Dr is recommending using pig skin instead of nylon mesh to repair the hernia. The thought process is that it would reduce infection and rejection. Any thoughts?

The use of synthetic mesh or biological tissues like human cadaver or pig/bovine tissues, which have been treated to remove individual cells so that only the fibrous/collagen matrix remains are used,has been preferred in repair of incisional hernia.The choice depends on the personal preference of the surgeon,though if there has been wound infection ,biological tissue would be preferred by some surgeons.It is thought that biological tissues are more resistant to infections and promote better healing than synthetic meshes in large incisional hernias.