Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

what are the meds to avoid if you are an alcoholic" ? I remember

what are the meds to avoid if you are an alcoholic"' ? I remember Benz o's, and antihistamines, I know there are others. I can't remember them.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Some medications to avoid if you drink alcohol are Bactrim (antibiotic), Flagyl (antibiotic), Tindamax (antibiotic), Coumadin (blood thinner), all antidepressants (Elavil for one), Orinase (antidiabetic medication), Tagamet & Zantac (stomach ulcer medication), anti-psychotic meds like Thorazine, most all of the cardiovascular drugs (Aldomet, Inderal and many others), Narcotic pain relievers, the Benzo's (as you mentioned), antihistimines, sleeping pills, even non-narcotic meds like Aspirin shouldn't be taken with Alcohol.

And then there's the medications like Antabuse for alcoholism. Alcohol should never be taken with these types of medications or the patient will experience some very negative side effects.

Basically, most all drugs will interact with alcohol in some form or fashion - and some in a not so good way. The best way to ever know if a particular drug is going to interact adversely is to ask your Pharmacist when you pick the medication up or come online and ask us here.

Please don't hesitate to reply back if I can help you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I dont, t think I was clear in my questioning . I mean, when a person goes to an alcoholic rehab , for alcoholism they are taught some meds or drugs to avoid so as not to relapse . I remember benzo antihistamines and barbiturates. What are the others? Thanks

Hi there

Yes, I think I misunderstood your question. Sorry about that.

The drugs to avoid would include the ones you mentioned plus cooking sherry, mouthwash, and matchbooks or advertisements from a favorite bar. Also, Nicotine increase alcohol cravings.

Other drugs would also include street drugs, the Benzo's, Hallucinogens, inhalents, Opioids, sleeping pills and even stimulants like Cocaine or Ritalin.

See this page for a FULL listing.... http://www.dopl.utah.gov/programs/urap/forms/MedGuide.pdf

That website link is a very good resource for you.