Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

There is a pocket of fluid in my wrist and moves up into the

There is a pocket of fluid in my wrist and moves up into the top side of my hand. My hand is really weak and I have trouble holding on to anything.
Welcome to Justanswer website. Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. I am sorry to hear about your problems.

These symptoms can occur with a medical condition, Ganglion (Cyst) of the Wrist. They arise from the capsule of a joint or the sheath of a tendon.
It contains a thick, clear, mucus-like fluid similar to the fluid found in the joint. It appears as a bump (mass) that changes size. It is associated with some degree of pain.

You may need clinical examination with needle aspiration or ultrasound.
Painkiller and Anti-inflammatory pills may be prescribed.
Your doctor may inject a steroid compound (anti-inflammatory), and use Aspiration technique to make you free from this condition.
Studies have shown up to 74% of people are cured after having the fluid drawn out with a needle one time.

Please consult your doctor for clinical examination and get it managed.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it common to have them in your wrist joint? I know I have two cyst in my

knuckles, but they don't have fluid like this, and it really is effecting the use

of my hand.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Answer prompted another question

Hello and welcome,

I am sorry that your follow up question was unanswered for long.

Your symptoms should be also looked for compound palmar ganglion (which is due to chronic mycobacterial infection), apart from a wrist ganglion. The usual investigation to assess it are;

1) An ultrasound
2) An MRI
3) An aspiration of the swelling.

The ganglion and compound palmar ganglion are not uncommon conditions and may require surgery to remove it. Just an aspiration by a wide bore needle can be done; though there is a chance of recurrence.

I am online, so you may ask any follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

I am Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Well, Ganglion cysts are very common lumps within the hand and wrist that occur adjacent to joints or tendons.
Usually it resemble like water balloon on a stalk,and is filled with clear fluid or gel. A clinical examination is necessary for precise diagnosis.

To make a diagnose, you need to undergo needle aspiration and ultrasound. If required MRI may also be advised.
The use of splints and anti-inflammatory medication can be prescribed in order to decrease pain associated with activities.
You will be advised Aspiration, it is a very simple procedure.
If condition, doesn't improves then surgical alternatives are available.

Reference- http://www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/GanglionCysts.aspx

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.

I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years