Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have persistent numbness in the bottom of both feet from

I have persistent numbness in the bottom of both feet from my arch but more prominent in the balls and toes 2, 3, 4. I can walk and exercise as it does not cause terrible pain but it is numb and annoying and it seems to get worse the next day after I have alcohol?
Welcome to Justanswer website. Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

For how long you have this problem?
Do you have numbness/severe pain in toes during early morning?
Does symptoms improve while you walk?
Have you seen your doctor for this issue?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had this noticably for almost a year would be my estimate.

I never have what would be considered severe pain and in the morning does not seem to be much difference. The numbness is more of discomfort and annoying as opposed to painful as my feet generally just have little feeling in the bottoms and especially the balls of my feet and into the toes. Its a bit scary at times especially when barefoot as if i step on something I cannot tell if i penetrate my skin or not?

I can and do walk occasionally and I would say that it is annoying though not greatly painful and I would say it does not improve by walking. I exercise reguraly at the gym and my aerobic exercise is generally down on the eliptical machine.

I had a physical 2 months ago, my doctor said my health was very good. I told her about my feet and she had me tested for lack of vitamin B which I knew was fine as I take multiple vitamins daily. The results came back as fine and now I need to reschedule an appointment.

Marty, Sorry for the delay in answering. I was on another question.
I apologize for your wait.

There are few conditions, which causes such symptoms . These are-
1. Diabetic neuropathy
2. Alcoholic Neuropathy.
3. Degenerative disc disease.
4. Gout
5. Tarsal tunnel syndrome

Tarsal tunnel syndrome occurs due to compression of posterior tibial nerve. It is associated with numbness over the bottom of the foot, and pain, burning, tingling over the base of the foot and heel.

To make a diagnose You need to undergo few tests. These are-
Blood sugar test, X-ray of spine, Complete blood count, Serum Uric acid test. A nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test may be suggested by your doctor.
After the evaluation, medications will be prescribed.

You can use a cold pack to relax leg and foot muscles, After this use a warm towel or heating pad later if you have pain or tenderness, or you can take a hot bath.
Also you should formulate an exercise routine and ensure that you build on it gradually.You should avoid alcohol.

Physiotherapy with local tendon and muscle strengthening exercises can be helpful.
You should use metatarsal pads, these help to deflect stress away from the painful area
You can take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen,naproxen it helps to prevent inflammation.

When symptoms doesn't improve, then steroid Injections may be used to help reduce any inflammation. These are injected locally and help to get relief from symptoms.

I would recommend that you need to consult Orthopedician for clinical evaluation and get appropriate management.
I wish for your good health.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes