Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

prednisome quesiton - my crohns is recurring and gi suggest

prednisome quesiton - my crohns is recurring and gi suggest I would benefit from a short course of prednisone. What are the likely side effects? And do you think it will help with the rectal bleeding from hemmhroids (i have been have a few months or more of moderate amounts of bright red blood and discomfort from going too frequently). Last, if the hemmroids remain and bleeding continues, what are the long term effects/complications? I mean, i'm in my mid 30s and this rectal bleeding is certainly an annoyance (and alarming at times) and a problem - but what will this be like in 10 years from now? 20?
Welcome to Justanswer website. Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Have you tried any medications to cure hemorrhoids?
How long back you were diagnosed with Crohn’s disease?
Do you have weight loss in recent time?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

crohyns for 10 years; hemicolectomy 2 yrs ago. had exam from colorectal surgeon a few weeks ago who said it was moderately severe hemmhroids. No weight loss. But my belly is sore. and I have frequent movements alternating loose and constipation. frequent bright red blood.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tries different creams for the hemmeoids don't seem to work
Thanks for quick input. I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Considering your condition, Yes it is right that you need a short course of prednisone. It is a corticosteroid, which is used for treating inflammation and pain. Yes, this will be very helpful in treating hemorrhoids and crohn's disease re-occurrence.
You may be advised Infrared, laser or bipolar to treat hemorrhoids. If required Injection (sclerotherapy) may be advised.

There are few side effects with prednisone, these are-
Fluid retention, Weight gain, Muscle weakness. But usually with a short course, one doesn't get serious effects.

Bleeding hemorrhoids, if left untreated, may lead to serious complications like-
-Thrombosis- Blood clot may be get carried away to legs, brain.
-Fibrosis
-Bacterial infection
-Gangrene
-Iron deficiency anemia.
These all can be long term complications.

I would suggest, that you should not delay and see your doctor urgently and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am I likely to gain weight immediately? How long is typically a short course for the prednisone? And once I stop it. Will my symptoms come back?
Thanks for asking follow up question.

You may be given a short course for 1 month. A short course of 10 mg of prednisone a day may not cause side effects. You may not gain weight in 1 month short course.
But a dosage of 10 to 20 mg a day for a month or more or a dosage of more than 20 mg a day for any length of time could cause side effects.

The dosage of prednisone is tapered down below 10 mg a day and eventually discontinued, the temporary side effects will lessen and reverse.
Your symptoms, will improve and will not reverse, after course of prednisone.