Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

i have pretty bad vertigo when laying down, neck keep making

Customer Question

i have pretty bad vertigo when laying down, neck keep making cracking/poping sounds alot of the time when i move it and heavy feeling at the back of my head, i suffer with anxiety disorder also
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thank you for using just answer website.I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about 3 weeks they started after i quit smoking and had a minor chest infection (which has cleared) iv also had slow heart beat (to me) and shortness of breath goin up stairs, test have been done but result are due back monday

thanks you for your replies

Dear Luke,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you are having can be due to a condition called Benign Positional Vertigo(BPV). It is caused by a disturbance within the balance organs of the inner ear.The inner ear contains 3 semi-circular canals that function like a gyroscope, relaying information about head position and movement to the brain.These stones present in internal ear break off and float free within the semicircular canals of the inner ear.This causes sending of wrong messages to the brain about your body's position.This result in vertigo.

Another possibility is of cervical spondylitis.It is generally caused by the compression of spinal nerves. Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings.

You need following tests:

-Electronystagmography (ENG)
-Videonystagmography (VNG),
-A test called- Dix-Hallpike manoeuvre
-ABR or auditory brain response,
-X-ray neck
-EKG

A normal pulse rate for a healthy adult, while resting, can range from 60 to 100 beats per minute.Average pulse rate is 72 beats per minute.If your pulse rate is below 60 beats/minute,it is called as bradycardia & this can be of concern.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to wait for the test reports you have underwent & then make an appointment with your doctor for these other tests(if required) & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your reply i have 1 last thing, iv been told i have really bad posture could this be a factor, also any tips on how i can get to sleep with the vertigo

thank you so much for your help

Dear Luke,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Yes,bad posture is a common cause of the condition like cervical spondylitis which can cause vertigo or dizziness.Tests like x-ray neck,electromyography(EMG) and nerve conduction studies will be required to confirm this as the cause.

Till then you can take tab meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine).This will help you greatly in stopping vertigo.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you again you will be getting a 5 star rating from me Smile

i did forget to add i get alot of skipped heartbeats with the laying down vertigo does this fit in with any of the possible causes you have spoke about?

thank again

Dear Luke,

Thank you for the appreciation.

Skipping of heart beats can be minor and do not require medical treatment if you do not have other symptoms or a history of heart disease.But it can be serious as it can change the amount of blood that flows to the lungs and other parts of the body.Hyperthyroidism(high levels of thyroid hormone) should always be ruled out with blood tests before making the diagnosis.

It is difficult to say online without tests & examination that skipped heart beat can be related to your vertigo.But as both the symptoms come whenever you lie down so possibility can be that they may be related.But the causes like BPPV(Benign Positional Vertigo(BPV))or cervical spondylitis does not cause skip heart beats.

Further you need following tests:

-Electrocardiogram(EKG)
-Stress EKG,
-Blood tests
-Holter monitoring,

Holter monitoring is required.It is a machine that continuously records the heart's rhythms. The monitor is usually worn for 24 - 48 hours during normal activity.Your doctor uses information captured on the Holter monitor's recording device to figure out if you have a heart rhythm problem.

So I advice you to to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi Luke,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor for these tests?
What is final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi thank you for the concern they did blood tests and all came back fine and all symptoms have left apart from a lump in back of neck that comes and goes and clicks when i turn my head to fast is this worth getting check? thank you again