Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I am currently medicating for gout and would like to get dietary

I am currently medicating for gout and would like to get dietary info besides red meat consumption. Also havr high blood pressure under med, heart issues with angiopasty in 19198, and slight stroke in 2012. Am still fully active with dancing, bowling, and pitching horseshoes. I am a male that is 71. Any help or direction you can steer me to will be appreciated. doctors treat symptoms these days and I need to look into causes. Father
was also a gout sufferer. Red meat was and is a family favorite. Thanks for any help. [email protected]
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

What medication are you taking now?
What is your serum uric acid level?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

uric acid has not been checked.

20mil prednisone 2x daily for 5 days

ALSO: 50 mg atenolol, 81 aspirin, 5mg amlodipine besylate, senior multi vit, pravaststin 20mg, Pradaxa 150mg 2x daily.

Have seen urgent care Dr. and have followup with new primary care Dr on Nov. 30. Currently waiting for VA primary care to be assigned.

Dear XXXXXph,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

If too much uric acid is being produced or if the kidneys are not able to remove it from the blood normally, the level of uric acid in the blood increases.Increased concentrations of uric acid can cause crystals to form in the joints, which leads to the joint inflammation and pain characteristic of gout.

The most reliable test for gout is finding uric acid crystals in a sample of the joint fluid obtained by joint aspiration (arthrocentesis).

The treatment of gout includes:pain relievers such as acetaminophen/Tylenol or other more potent analgesics,anti-inflammatory agents such as nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), colchicine, and corticosteroids(as you are taking prednisone) are used to decrease joint inflammation.

Medications to decrease uric acid blood levels like probenecid (benemid) and sulfinpyrazone (anturane) may be prescribed of there is increased uric acid levels.

Following will help you:drink 2 to 3 L of fluid daily.Adequate fluid intake helps dilute urinary uric acid.Avoid High-Purine foods like liver,beef kidneys,brains,meat extracts.Limit your fat intake.

Purine rich foods should be avoided like beer, other alcoholic beverages,dried peas and beans,Organ meat (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads,mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower.These food items raise uric acid levels in the body and increase the risk of gout.So I advice you that all these should be avoided & get check your uric acid level in your next follow up with your primary care doctor & if required joint aspiration (arthrocentesis) may be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Joseph

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
Was serum uric acid level tested?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles