Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

how long should someone wait to drink after taking ativan?

Hi there – myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Ativan contains Lorazepam, It belongs to group of drugs called benzodiazepines and is used to treat anxiety disorders.
When Ativan is mixed with alcohol, then it can increase your risk for serious reactions.

It is usually recommended that alcohol be avoided while taking Ativan.
This combination can slow both the heart and breathing rate, and may cause severe breathing discomfort.

Doctor's recommend, that Alcohol and Ativan should never be taken together. FDA, says to avoid alcohol while taking Ativan.

Generally speaking, one may have to wait for 12 hours after dose of Ativan to consider drinking alcohol for healthy person, but it should be taken, only after doctor's approval.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so if I took 4mg yesterday, the latest 2 mg at 4 pm, because of a panic attack put of the blue, would I be able to drink by noon today?I haven't had a drink in a while but usually do while watching football, I'd call my doc but it's a holiday
Dear XXXXX,
Ideally one may have to wait for minimum 12 hours after dose of Ativan to consider drinking alcohol.
Yes, you would be safe, as 12 hours would already have been passed.
Yes, you can take it at noon, please avoid excessive alcohol.

I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes