Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

My son had the stomach flu over a week ago. Since then he has

My son had the stomach flu over a week ago. Since then he has thrown up almost every night around 5am. What can this be?
Dear customer,
I am Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Is he taking any medication now?
Is he having any other sympXXXXX XXXXXke pain in abdomen?
On what date his flu symptoms gets resolved?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has been occasionally getting mild pains in his abdomen .
he had the stomach flu approximately end around 1 week ago. Everyone in my house including myself had the stomach flu. But when my son had it he did experience abdominal pain.
Dear XXXXXo,

Thanks for the info given.I had started working on your question. Please stay online, I will post your answer in 20 minutes.However I will try my best to give you answer ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And no he is not on medication .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have also just moved country this week. So I'm wondering if its nerves?

Dear XXXXXo,

Thanks for staying online.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Most vomiting is caused by a viral infection.These infections often don't last long.Also there can be a possibility of re-infection.Stop giving him solid diet.Let the child's stomach rest for 1 hour after vomiting, then give sips of liquids every 10 to 15 minutes.Gradually increase the amount of liquid you offer. Another possibility of his symptoms can be due to a condition called Cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS).CVS is characterized by episodes or cycles of severe nausea and vomiting that last for hours, or even days, that alternate with intervals with no symptoms.

Most probably the cause of his symptoms seems to be either re-infection of stomach flu or the previous infection was not completely cured & some of the virus left intact which then grow back & cause the symptoms.Also as you have told that you have just moved country this week,so viral infection(repeat stomach flu) seems to be the most probable cause. He needs following tests:

-Culture & sensitivity test of vomitus(material expelled out in vomiting)

-Stool test

-Other blood tests

-Clinical examination.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment for him with pediatrician for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hi Marco

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

How is his vomiting symptoms now?
Have you consulted the doctor for your son?

Let me know,
Dr. Charles