Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

My 6 month old son has a raspy, hoarse cough that just sounds

My 6 month old son has a raspy, hoarse cough that just sounds terrible. He is still his happy giggle self but has this additional cough. He eats fine also, he is however running a small temperature of 99.4 and when he coughs you can hear mucous build-up. Just don't know if I need to take him to the doctor. I also bought him a Vicks plug-in waterless vaporizer nightlight just plugged it in his room last night.
Dear customer,
I am Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how many days your son is having this cough?
Does he feel any breathing discomfort?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He started having this cough since this past Saturday the 17th. No he isn't having breathing discomfort
Dear Jana,

Thanks for the info given.I had started working your question. Please stay online, I will post your answer in 20 minutes.However I will try my best to give you answer ASAP.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Dear Jana
Thanks for staying online.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

You need to watch his symptoms over next 2-3 days.The general criteria that when you should consult your doctor in the following condition:

-If your child's age is less than 3 months old

-If your child is having breathing discomfort or is breathing more rapidly than usual

-If your child has little streaks of blood in the mucus he coughs up

-If your child is running a fever of at least 101 degrees Fahrenheit if he's 3 to 6 months old or 103 degrees F if he's 6 months or older

As your child does not fulfill any of the above characteristic & is not having any serious symptom or any symptom that is of concern,I advice you to wait & watch for another 3 days.The most probable cause of his symptoms seems to be viral infection.Symptoms caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.

If still the symptoms persists or if any of the above symptom develop,then he needs to consult the doctor for tests & examination & then accordingly antibiotics or other medications will be prescribed.Till then just wait & watch.Keep an eye of observation.

Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So this should clear up by Friday or Saturday? Also he is sleeping right now and while he is breathing you can hear mucus in his throat when he is breathing
Dear Jana,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Most probably this is viral infection & it should get clear within 7 days from the start of infection.If there is excessive mucus or there is breathing discomfort then there is need to consult the doctor.The mild fever he is having is also because of this viral infection.Bacterial infection usually causes high grade fever which he is not having.

It is difficult to diagnose online without examination.I hope you understand.So if there is more discomfort then you need to take her to ER.Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.

Please choose 'excellent answer' or 'good answer' or 'okay answer'as this is the only way by which an expert can get the credit for the work.If you feel you still have any doubt in mind,please use REPLY BUTTON instead of choosing bad or poor answer.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi JA customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Has the symptoms of your child resolved?

Let me know,
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes we took him to the emergency room last Wednesday because he woke up crying after having a rough cough. He has croup they gave him a nebulizer for breathing treatments
Dear Jana,
Its good to know that your son has finally got relief from the cough & other symptoms.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles