Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have broken out over 80% of my body with lg red bumps. I

I have broken out over 80% of my body with lg red bumps. I had chkn pox as a child. These itch and feel like a sunburn. Its been 3 days since I broke out. I have no appetite & are really tired.
Hi there – myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you itch more at any specific time of day or at night?
Have you recently started taking any new medications and/or over the counter remedies?
Have you made any changes to your diet, clothes, living conditions, soaps etc?
Does any other family member has similar symptoms?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i itch all the time.it seems to help when i take benadryl. nothing has chgd diet, use of shampooz,etc.i ran a fever foe couple of days.

Thanks for quick input.

It can be due to any of these two common condition's-
Scabies and Papular Urticaria.
These result in itchy red bumps, which are scattered in small groups all over the body.

Scabies is a infection caused by a mite, Sarcoptes scabiei.
Scabies burrow in the skin and leave clusters of bumps. Also after several weeks of infestation, itching increases in intensity, sometimes preventing sleep or awakening the sufferer.
As you had chickenpox, in childhood, so chances of re-occurrence are very slim.

Exposure to environmental irritants can worsen symptoms, as can dryness of the skin, exposure to water, temperature changes, and stress.
The following measures will help you :

-Calamine lotion and cool oatmeal baths relieves itching.
-Apply cream containing hydrocortisone. It will reduce the itching and inflammation.
-After bathing, it is important to trap the moisture in the skin by applying lubricating cream on the skin while it is damp.
-You need to get a prescription for Permethrin cream 5% , and apply it all over body below neck and wash off after 12 hours.
-Take tab Mortin 400mg BD. This will reduce inflammation of skin.

Please consult a doctor as early as possible for a checkup and get appropriate management.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the areas of red bumps are pretty lg. its all over my back, chest, legs, arms, neck. i even have one sore in my nose & ear. i have developed a cough in the last 3 days. when my night gown touches my skin it feels like a sun burn. the mites could they be bed bugs? thank you

Gwen,
It can be due to bed bug bites, these are are most active at night and bite any exposed areas of skin while an individual is sleeping.
It results in redness, swelling, and itching bumps on body.
If itching is severe, steroid creams or oral antihistamines may be used for symptom relief.
It becomes important to check for Scabies.
Scabies is treated with these medications-
1. Application of permethrin (Elimite).
2. An oral medication, ivermectin

You should use hot, soapy water to wash all clothes, towels and bedding you used at least three days before treatment. Also you should dry with high heat. Dry-clean items you can't wash at home.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if it is bed bugs i do i get them from under my skin? just a bath? last ? promise

Gwen,
Bed bugs can live in any area of the home and can reside in tiny cracks in furniture as well as on textiles and upholstered furniture.
They are most common in areas where people sleep and generally concentrate in beds, including mattresses, boxsprings, and bed frames.
They also resides in curtains, edges of carpet, corners inside dressers and other furniture, cracks in wallpaper (particularly near the bed), and inside the spaces of wicker furniture.
You can go for cool oatmeal baths.

Best wishes