Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

I was told I had vertigo about 9 years ago. What I have noticed

I was told I had vertigo about 9 years ago. What I have noticed over the years is if I apply pressure to my upper to mid back the dizziness gets worse. Also, If I lift my arms.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Nomi :

Dr. Nomi :

Is there headache as well?

Dr. Nomi :

Do you feel pins and needle sensation or tingling?

Customer:

At times I do get a needle sensation in my hands. When I drive my hands get that needle sensation. I've always had headaches. They don't coincide with the bouts of vertigo. When by vertigo is really bothering me my vision doesn't seem right. If I am talking to someone it's hard for me to focus on them.

Dr. Nomi :

Thanks for your input.This looks like 'cervical spondylosis ' to me.

Dr. Nomi :

Cervical spondylosis is an age-related degeneration ('wear and tear') of the vertebrae and discs in the neck. To an extent, we all develop some degeneration in the vertebrae and discs as we become older. It tends to start sometime after the age of about 30. One feature of the degeneration is that the edges of the vertebrae often develop small, rough areas of bone called osteophytes. Also, over many years, the discs become thinner. This degeneration is a normal ageing process which can be likened to having 'wrinkles in the spine'. In many people, the degeneration does not cause any symptoms. For example, routine X-rays of the neck will show these features (osteophytes and disc thinning) in many people who do not have any symptoms.

Dr. Nomi :

However, in some people, the nearby muscles, ligaments, or nerves may become irritated or 'pressed on' by the degenerative changes.

Dr. Nomi :

Treatments include keeping the neck moving, neck exercises and painkillers. In severe cases surgery may be required.Wearing a neck collar can also be helpful but its bothersome obviously.

Customer:

Thank you for pointing me in a direction! I will follow up.

Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK