Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I went to a doctor last week as I was experiencing soreness

I went to a doctor last week as I was experiencing soreness and mild itching in the vaginal area (outside around the labia, not inside). I was prescribed treatment for thrush - a pill that I took straight away and some cream for external use. It's been over a week since I've been using the cream and it did begin to get better, but in the past couple of days the soreness has increased and my labia is very dry with lots of cracked flaky skin (and sore and a bit itchy). Do you think this is a reaction to the cream or is this resistant thrush or something else? Should I stop using the cream? (It said to keep using it for at least two weeks). I've booked another appointment with my gp but it's not till monday so I wanted to get another opinion.

Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Are you sexually active?
Do you know the name of cream you were prescribed?
Is there any vaginal discharge or foul smell from vagina?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am - I'm married, same partner for 7 years.

The cream is clotrimazole 1% cream BP.

There is some discharge (a little more than usual) slightly stronger odor but not a huge amount.

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms of vaginal discharge & vaginal soreness you are having seems to be due to infection called bacterial vaginosis.It is caused by a combination of multiple bacteria.It is the most common vaginal infection.The treatment you have taken was for thrush that is fungal infection.Anti fungal medications cannot cure bacterial infections.

If the bacterial infection isn't treated, the bacteria may get up into the uterus or the fallopian tubes and cause more serious infections.It is treatable with antibiotics prescribed by a health care provider.

Most probably the cause of your symptoms is bacterial infection.Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to have an appointment with your doctor on monday for the examination to know the exact cause & then oral antibiotics will be prescribed accordingly.

Till then apply ointment vagmycin vaginal cream.It is a broad spectrum antibiotic with an anti-fungal agent.It is available as over the counter without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist