Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I have been on Yasmin for nearly 7 years, and it is 1 week

I have been on Yasmin for nearly 7 years, and it is 1 week before my period is due. I woke up today with few spots of blood when I wiped, and tonight I noticed a little brown discharge as well. I had slight cramping a few times today, but it seemed to occur when I had to have a bowel movement.  

Could this be implantation bleeding from pregnancy, or is it breakthrough bleeding? I take my combined oral contraceptive pill within 1 and a half hours of the same time every day, usually right around 6pm. Thank you

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

Most likely this is breakthrough bleeding. This is not unusual even if you have been taking Yasmin for several years. Pregnancy or implantation bleeding is less likely. I would advise waiting till your period is due before considering pregnancy test.

Dr. Singh :

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. Please "accept" when done.

Hi Dr. Singh

thank you for your feedback, that is helpful, I will wait until next week to see what happens.