Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Good evening, I am a multiple myeloma cancer patient with

Customer Question

Good evening,

I am a multiple myeloma cancer patient with leukopenia and neutropenia. I am using Neosporin to treat abrasions on my knee and on my ankle. I have been using the ointment in generous amounts until my friend informed me that this can be dangerous as Neosporin can cause possible deafness and kidney failure.

Should I be concerned being that I have been applying large amounts to my wounds?

Respectfully,
Eleanor
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 4 years ago.

Firstly very little of the active ingredients in Neosporin are absorbed from the skin into the bloodstream with normal use.

The standard Neosporin dose is a small amount applied to the affected area one to three times daily.

The effects of an overdose with Neosporin will vary, depending on how much was taken and how it was taken.

If a large amount of the medication is absorbed into the bloodstream, overdose symptoms may occur however chances are very low.

So hearing loss,kidney failure are very rare side effects of neosporin overdose.

Patients with decrease kidney function should avoid neosporin.

So you should apply small amount of neosporin on your abrasions not more than 1 week.

If your symptoms'll not improve then consult your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for taking my question doctor. If, too much Neosporin was absorped through my skin, how soon would I notice possible adverse effects? Is kidney damage and deafness reversible?

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Firstly i want to assure you that such adverse effects are very rare with Neosporin.

Usually we recommend neosporin use for 1 week only.

And if symptoms'll not resolve then change of medication should be considered.

If your abrasions are not improving with Neosporin and you have applied it for last 1 week then you need to be seen by your doctor.

Long term use and large amount of Neosporin can result in adverse effect.

Such kidney damage and deafness can be reversible if initial treatment should be given.

So if you feel any hearing problem and impaired kidney function test after using neosporin then you should ask your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.