Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

excessive mucus from lungs and cough and clear mucus

Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Have you undergone any tests so far?
Is there breathing discomfort?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no tests

no problem breathing

minor heart burn and not often

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The excessive phlegm or mucus (sputum)can be due to a viral infection which is the most common cause.Other causes are:bacterial infection,chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD),gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD),postnasal drip.

You need following tests:

-X-ray chest
-Pulmonary function test(PFT)
-Allergy and sinus tests,

You need expectorant cough mixture to help loosen the phlegm and make it easier to cough up from the airways.Expectorants contain ingredients such as guaifenesin, ipecachuana or ammonium citrate.The only expectorant available in OTC products is guaifenesin (some brand names: Mucinex, Robitussin Chest Congestion).So I advice you to take mucinex cough syrup,it will help you greatly & is available as OTC without prescription.

Spitting will help greatly.Instead of swallowing or ignoring the mucus,spit it into a tissue or the sink every time.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Till then take syp.mucinex from your counter.

Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Yes,you need to take the anti histamine medication only with consultation of your doctor & in prescribed dosage.Taking antihistamines in excessive amounts during an allergic turmoil can result in bad increase in appetite & hence leads to increase in weight.

Initial symptoms of overdose of antihistamine include blurred vision, dry mouth, enlarged pupils and/or ringing of the ears.So I advice you to take only the prescribed dosage of anti histamine.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-

Hi Tery,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you taken Syp.Mucinex?
Have you consulted your doctor?

Let me know,
Dr. Charles