Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Good evening, This afternoon when I went for a short walk,

Good evening,

This afternoon when I went for a short walk, I sustained a terrible fall and scraped my right knee as well as ankle. When I got home about 15 minutes later, I cleaned the cuts with soap and water. However, I did not have any band aids or antibiotic ointment and asked someone to bring some for me. A couple of hours later, I cleaned the cuts again and applied some Neosporin.

I have a compromised immune system due to multiple myeloma. I have both leukopenia and neutropenia.

I am concerned that I may develop a systemic infection, being that I did not treat my wounds promptly with an antibiotic ointment. I am concerned about MRSA or staph infections which can be life-threatning in cancer patients like myself. Should I be concerned about a possible infection? If so, what signs should I be watchful of?

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Thanks for your question.
Given your compromised immune system, there is some risk of bacterial infection from wounds.
MRSA is also possible.
You already cleaned your wounds well.
You can continue with applying neosporin ointment twice daily.
Please watch out for any swelling, pus formation.
Any fever or low body temperature also should be monitored for.
You should also get a tetanus booster if not given within last 5 yrs.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you doctor for taking my question. Did I increase the probability of infection, being that I did not properly treat my wounds immediately? I was told that when a long period of time elapses before treating wounds, a significantly greater risk of infection is possible.

Also, how do I go about getting a tetanus booster. Should I contact my oncologist or go to the ER?

You are not late in treating your wounds.
The risk of infection has not increased by the delay.
You can get the tetanus booster from your primary care doc by tomorrow or you can go to the urgent care.

Best wishes,