Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

What happens if you take Metformin and it is not needed?

My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

can you tell me why you would want to do this?

standing by

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the doctor put me on Metformin, said i was borderline diabetic. 2 pills a day at 500 mg.. one in morning one in evening. While taking this medication I became very sick... hurt all over, headache, upset stomach, extremly lethargic. I went off the medication and returned to normal. my home testing of blood levels never above 112 no matter when i test. he put me back on the medicine one pill a day 500 mg and i am back to feeling like crap again. he keeps telling me it's not the medicine that I am diabetic and need the medicine...

well it WOULD be good to decrease your blood sugar levels to more normal range.

i don't understand why your doctor will not try a different medicine. people have strange reactions to medicines and it sure seems you have a reaction to metformin.

if you were able to lose some weight you might avoid the need for medicine, though for long term health it would be VERY good to keep your sugars lower than they are.

You might find this link helpful. It might be good to print this and take it to your next doctor's visit and ask if another medicine might be better for you.

I am standing by if you have further questions for me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i ask why you would assume that i need to lose weight? at no point did i give a weight and you are assuming that since metformin is for a type 2 diabetes that it must mean i am over weight....

i am doing what i can to keep sugar levels low with diet and excercise and feel that the levels are not high enough to warrant a medication. I still have not recieved an answer to my question.....

What happens if you take metformin and it is not needed... what will happen?

For ANYONE with borderline diabetes, weight loss can often avert medication usage. Doesn't matter if you are 10 or 200 pounds overweight. That's why.

As to what happens if it is not needed this assumes you don't need it.

Your doctor thinks you do. Levels of 112 are slightly high. Your HbA1c is a lab which is a much better indicator of whether you "actually need it".

In your particular case the answer would be that you have some side effects from metformin which are unpleasant AND you blood sugar levels are lower.

I am standing by if you have further questions.

Metformin is often used in prediabetics,when the blood glucose is borderline.It helps in patients with insulin resistance,with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease(NAFLD),with PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS).Metformin is a safe drug as it does not cause hypoglycaemia,however in a small group of patients it can cause Lactic Acidosis.This may cause muscle pain and weakness,numbness or cold feeling in limbs,difficulty in breathing,weakness/lightheadedness/dizziness,stomach pain nausea and vomiting,slow or uneven heart rate.In any patient having discomfort after taking metformin,evaluation for lactic acidisis may be needed after stopping the drug.Tests for blood sugar levels,lactic acid concentration,serum electrolytes,blood pH,and ruling out Ketoacidosis maybe essential.Since this is a potentially serious complication it is necessary to exclude this.Diaorrhea,nausea,metallic taste ,flatulence,dyspepsia are common GI complaints with this drug.Liver toxicity has also been reported with this drug.It would be prudent to be evaluated for lactic acidosis if you are intolerant to the drug.The drug is avoided inpatients with renal disease,cardiovascular disease and liver disease as these may predispose one to Lactic Acidosis.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice