Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

What behavioral strategy and pharmacological drug would a psychiatrist

What behavioral strategy and pharmacological drug would a psychiatrist give to a 26 year old man who Is experiencing extreme parenoia brought on by MDMA mad or milky abuse over 1 month.

In a patient who is experiencing extreme paranoia (paranoid symptoms) the first step would be to prescribe him antipsychotic medicines such as Olanzapine, Risperidone or Haloperidol etc. Once his paranoid symptoms are under control and he is clinically stable which may take few days to weeks as seen in most cases his doctor can consider the option of giving him Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

In most cases, patient respond well to antipsychotics medicines and there is no need of trying any particular behavioral strategy in such patients.

Considering the short history of paranoid symptoms and assuming that this is the first episode, simply starting an antipsychotic such as Olanzapine by his doctor in a dose range of 5-20 mg per day should be sufficient in your son's case. Most likely, he should start showing improvement within 7-14 days of after starting the treatment.

I hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. How can I persuade him to seek help when so much to him appears as a conspiracy. Even perceives occasionally that we are part of the conspiracy. I just loaded paypal with 100 dollars to get unlimited for the month. It will take 3 to 4 days to hit paypal from the bank. I will indirect it to you once it becomes cash.

My need vfor help is urgent as he says he feels like ending it.

I really appreciate your assistance
Hello Brad,

Sorry for the delay in replying back.

It is really very difficult to persuade a paranoid patient to seek help because for him everything is real and not fake. He is actually believing in the fact that people are against him and want to harm him.

So first of all, don't try to convince him that all this is in his mind otherwise he will include you also in the conspiracy and you will looses your control on him. One possible way to persuade him to seek medical help is for any physical symptoms such as headache, disturbed sleep etc. Most paranoid patients may go to doctor for management of physical problems.

Regards

Vikas