Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Question about a cough. Ive had whats essentially a cough

Question about a cough. I've had what's essentially a cough since last Saturday (almost a week). I haven't had a fever (though I haven't checked it, but no symptoms of a fever), not much mucus, no blood basically a mostly nonproductive cough. I had thought over the past two days that it had gotten better (at least during the day), but it's keeping me up I'm concerned that it may be getting worse. The cough is preceded by a tickle in my throat (probably mucus) which causes me to want to cough, then I do hear some productive noises (like I'm trying to clear something), but nothing comes up.

Two other concerns:
1. I take Humira (which lowers my immune system) for autoimmune diseases. I was supposed to take my next injection a couple of days ago (Wednesday) but have held off b/c my rheumatologist says that I should not take an injection until an infection clears. Should I go to my doctor's tomorrow to get antibiotics?

2. I live in Washington State and have heard about a whooping cough epidemic. I haven't yet had the symptoms that produce the "whoop" but obviously I'm concerned about that (pneumonia, possibly, as well).
2. There's been an

Welcome to Just Answer.

Do you feel any shortness of breath?

Do you cough up any mucus? How is its color?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No shortness of breath. Any mucus that I cough up (which is little) is either clear or green, which I assume signals infection.

Thank you for the information,

I would advise to take an examination by doctor again.

The green color can come from a bacterial infection.

It is also seen in the healing state of the viral infection.

Still when you are on Humira, a swab test would be helpful.

It does not seem to be whooping cough.

Pneumonia usually have other symptoms like chest pain, shortness of breath.

The infection can be in the throat, nose.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please press the EXCELLENT/ GOOD FEEDBACK and feel free for any follow up query.