Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions
62535071

I had a baby and a few weeks later I got the depo shot in the

Customer Question

I had a baby and a few weeks later I got the depo shot in the middle of may I had unprotected sex before had my period from July on and off until september 7th and nothing since I have been having unprotected sex the whole time could I be pregnant its been almost two months since I stopped my period
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 4 years ago.

The likelihood of a pregnancy while on the depo provera is less than 1%.

So don't be afraid of taking a pregnancy test - it will more than likely be a negative pregnancy test.

Missed period can be associated with depo shot.

Most women do not have a period when they are on depo provera.

And if you are breastfeeding your baby then there may be associated Lactational amenorrhea(lack of periods during lactation).

Otherwise,consult your doctor as well for a clinical examination.

So don't worry about pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i took depo once in the middle of may never went back for my second shot so i am not on depo

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 4 years ago.

A Depo-Provera shot usually provide pregnancy prevention for 3 months from the time it's given.

Afterwards, it may take several months for the periods to get back to a normal cycle.

If it was 3 months past when the Depo-Provera was given, there is a risk of pregnancy.

As you have given Depo shot in May then it would give you protection for June,July,August.

And if you have history of unprotected sex in September then there was a risk of pregnancy.

However if you are breastfeeding then possibly it is Lactational amenorrhea which causing you missed period.

You should undergo a home pregnancy test and using first morning urine will be most accurate earlier.

And consult your Obs/Gyn doctor as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not breast feeding and have had unprotected sex before the needle as well as september and october but home pregnancy tests are negative

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 4 years ago.

As per your description, now it suggests that there may be othere possible causes of missed periods like hormonal imbalance,Thyroid dysfunction.

As your pregnancy test is negative so it is less likely to be get pregnant.

And sometimes it may take several months for the periods to get back to a normal cycle after Depo shot.

So in my opinion,you need to undergo Hormone profile(FSH,LH,Prolactin),Thyroid function test,Ultrasound to rule out other possible cause apart from pregnancy and side effect of Depo shot.

So make an appointment with your Gynecologist.

Don't worry you'll be fine, if your problem'll rule out and proper treatment should be advised.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have symptoms of being pregnant

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 4 years ago.

As your home pregnancy test is negative so if you think about pregnancy then you need to undergo Ultrasound and blood pregnancy test to confirm it.

It's a good idea to consult your Gynecologist for further diagnosis and management.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Nurse72 replied 4 years ago.
Hello, it can take up to a year for your menstrual cycle to return to normal after using depo probers. Please let me know if you have additional questions