Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Started Prednisone 6 days ago. Yesturday, my hands started

Started Prednisone 6 days ago. Yesturday, my hands started itching like crazy!
Assuming that this is a side effect from the prednisone, will it go away when I stop taking it?

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Why have you been prescribed prednisone and at what dose?

Customer:

Suspected of having Crohns after having a CT scan Last Thursday Evening. (went in with severe abdominal cramps)

Dr. R. Bora :

Alright. The itching may be due to an allergic response to prednisone and should go away when you stop taking it....

Dr. R. Bora :

Till then, you can take benadryl orally to reduce the allergic reaction...

Customer:

Narrowed and inflamed Ileum found. (also found 4.5 years ago after becoming very anemic) Dosage prescribed was 40 mg once daily, but I called and asked if I could take 30 instead after a few days.

Dr. R. Bora :

Yeah..so gradually your doctor will taper off the prednisone and and the itching should disappear but you can start taking benadryl now available OTC.

Dr. R. Bora :

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.

Please remember to rate me excellent service (or 4 or 3 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.