Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

Every night my OCD

Every night my OCD husband seems to make sure he upsets himself sufficiently so he can mope off to the bedroom and get under the covers as early as a baby... which he acts like. Tonight it was a simple comment I made concerning the one chicken enchellada left in the pan. "Why is it nobody will eat that last little bite" I said... and it is true. No matter where you go if there is food and one little bite is left everyone avoids it like the plague. My OCD husband expanded on that innocent comment to where I and/or my son and/or other people did it because they didn't want to be responsible to put the left overs away. Made no sense and I told him as much so he continued with it was his lot in life to be discounted and ignored etc, etc, etc. To say this is getting old is the understatment. Can you give me a way to avoid such silly confrontations other than never utter a comment about anything ever again. That would be hard to do. The rest of the day had been uneventful, even pleasant and full of accomplishments so he isn't always like this.

Doctor Cameron :

hello

Doctor Cameron :

well, it appears that you may not be communicating effectively with your husband

Doctor Cameron :

People have very different personality types

Doctor Cameron :

I would suggest that you look at the Myer-Briggs personality test-

Doctor Cameron :

http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html

Doctor Cameron :

He may respond to something else entirely different-

Doctor Cameron :

such as-

Doctor Cameron :

talking to him about his feelings-

Doctor Cameron :

what would make him feel heard?

Doctor Cameron :

what does he feel he is missing or he needs?

Doctor Cameron :

Clearly he is upset about something and perhaps he feels (not necessarily rightfully so) that you are discounting or ignoring his needs

Doctor Cameron :

he may be very sensitive

Doctor Cameron :

Perhaps, if you asked him if he wanted the last bit of dinner or if he was hungry any more, he would feel that you are paying more attention to him

Doctor Cameron :

And if he wants it- then perhaps you can segue into suggesting him helping you put the rest away..

Doctor Cameron :

I hope this helps

Doctor Cameron :

Warm regards,

Please choose accept,or rate a 4 or 5 so that I may get credit for my time and expertise.

Thanks for using Just Answer!