Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am looking for answers! I

Customer Question

I am looking for answers! I have 2 mechanical heart valves and have to take coumadin every day. I have never had a weight problem and I feel since my heart surgery 4 yrs. ago. I have struggled. I cannot lose weight. I do not eat crap all the time. I don't eat out hardly ever. I don't drink calories and I definitely don't eat fast food. I am fairly active and now I have tummy fat where I never had any of this. What should I do. I don't want to be obsessing about it all the time. With as little error is there is in my diet and life style. I feel like something is wrong but yet my pc Dr. did blood work and my thyroid is normal. What is the deal and how can i drop this 30? I am at my wits end, Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

DrDavid :

This is Dr. David

DrDavid :

are you exercising 3-4 times a week? you need to exercise 3-4 times a week to help boost your metabolism to help decrease your weight and burn fat.

DrDavid :

the exercise has to be 30-40 minutes in length and has to get your heart rate up to between 120 and 140 beats per minute.

DrDavid :

speed walking while swinging your warms can do this as well as other exercises.

DrDavid :

have you counted your calories which you eat in a day? you have to try to limit your calories to less than 1800 calories a day.

DrDavid :

you can also talk to a nutritionist about how best to do this as well.

DrDavid :

do you have other questions?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--if you have cut your calories to around 1500 per day or less and have any exercise program at all and still haven't lost weight then this could either be a thyroid problem or a problem with high cortisol levels. Unless your TSH on you thyroid function test was less than 3.0, according to the newer guidelines you should be considered hypothyroid and be supplemented with thyroid hormone. If your cortisol level are elevated, that, too can cause a problem with not being able to lose weight. As for diet, a nutrient dense diet of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruits, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings of lean meats, poultry, and fish per week will help you on your way to losing weight, but I suggest you talk to your doctor about you TSH level and your cortisol level. The coumadin wouldn't be causing your problem with weight.