Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi. My periods have been very irregular since last January.

Hi. My periods have been very irregular since last January. I had been on Apri Birthcontrol for about 2 years. January my period never came took two pregnancy tests- both came out negative. February came on time. March period never came took 2 pregnancy tests both came out negative. April came a week early and very light. The week it was supposed to come it was very dark/black like dried blood?? I decided to see my doctor in April about this. I took a pregnancy test there and it also came back negative, she told me I could go on a different birth control. I decided to wait another month. May and June normal and on time. July 4 days late. August 4 days early. In September I switched birth control. I went back on on the Orthra Evra patch. September and October normal. This month it came a week early. I'm not stressed out right now, so I don't know why, but it's very frustrating and it kind of freaks me out like there is something wrong with my body. I have been pretty good at taking my pill on time because if I was even a couple hours late it would affect me.
I take minocyline, a calcium supplement, iron supplement, and a cranberry supplement (since I have frequent UTIs) Should I go off it completely, see if its something more serious, get on something else, or wait it out?!

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

The irregular periods can be caused by the thyroid condition.

mysticdoc :

Hence, serum TSH level should be checked if not done already.

mysticdoc :

Otherwise, your other medications like minocycline can affect your period.

Customer:

I had my thyroid checked a couple of years and it turned out fine, but I can check it out again.

mysticdoc :

Yes this should be checked.

mysticdoc :

Minocycline can affect your thyroid as well.

mysticdoc :

You can continue with ortho evra for now for 2 more months to see if things return to normal.

Customer:

I just started taking minocycline in June I believe to clear some acne

mysticdoc :

ok --

mysticdoc :

this may still contribute to your problem.

Customer:

I'll talk to my doctor about it. It's just frustrating not knowing when it comes or if it won't..

mysticdoc :

yes it is frustrating but this should be treatable.

Customer:

but it's not some underlying problem like infertility/ovary probs

mysticdoc :

It should not be as ovulation results in periods.

mysticdoc :

Hence, you need to ovulate to have regular periods which you do have in between.

Customer:

ok thank you so much. I will get my thyroid checked and hopefully my body figures itself out..I went back to the patch just because of the irregularity and how sensitive my body was if I was an hour late in taking my pill..then it happened with the patch! ugh!! thanks tho!

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

please do not stress as this also affects your period.

mysticdoc :

This is not concerning.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

thank you will do!

mysticdoc :

very welcome