Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

There are herbal remedies available for depression (Wellbutrin

There are herbal remedies available for depression (Wellbutrin no longer works for me) that I am interested in learning about. One is rather mysterious. It's called FORSKOLIN and I am not sure which neurotransmitter(s) it works upon, or is it something hormonal? Here is one website: http://intelegen.com/nutrients/forskolin_and_camp.htm
Nothing I've found clearly tells (me anyway) how this herb works on the brain.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Thank you for the link also.

mysticdoc :

Forskolin is supposed to increase the AMP level in the cells.

mysticdoc :

By doing this particular action, forskolin may provide relief to a number of conditions mainly asthma, allergies, weight loss, cardiovascular health.

mysticdoc :

Now, in depression there is imbalance in catecholamines in the brain --read it as deficiency of the catecholamines.

mysticdoc :

Forskolin may increase the level of catecholamines ( serotonine, noradrenaline, dopamine) in the brain and hence can treat depression.

mysticdoc :

But this action has not been proven in any clinical studies.

mysticdoc :

Hence, this is still a hypothesis and yet to be proven.

mysticdoc :

Natural supplements like tryptophan, L tyrosine, 5 HTP may help with the depression.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc : Thanks for your question.
mysticdoc : Thank you for the link also.
mysticdoc : Forskolin is supposed to increase the AMP level in the cells.
mysticdoc : By doing this particular action, forskolin may provide relief to a number of conditions mainly asthma, allergies, weight loss, cardiovascular health.
mysticdoc : Now, in depression there is imbalance in catecholamines in the brain --read it as deficiency of the catecholamines.
mysticdoc : Forskolin may increase the level of catecholamines ( serotonine, noradrenaline, dopamine) in the brain and hence can treat depression.
mysticdoc : But this action has not been proven in any clinical studies.
mysticdoc : Hence, this is still a hypothesis and yet to be proven.
mysticdoc : Natural supplements like tryptophan, L tyrosine, 5 HTP may help with the depression.
mysticdoc : Best wishes,

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/