Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am recently having trouble with my stomach feeling very bloated.

I am recently having trouble with my stomach feeling very bloated. It is sticking out and almost looks like I am a few months pregnant ( I am not). I workout 6 days aweek, weigh about 125, and am 5'6". The scale seems to say I am a few lbs heavier too...but I am eating all the same thing I always have and doing the same workouts. It is not super painful, but just feels like I am super full or bloated all the time. I have been on a gluten free diet for about a year now and have been feeling really good until now...I eat mostly white meats and fish, no dairy other than cheese (any other dairy seems to bother my stomach)I generally try to avoid most processed food and I eat tons of fruits and veggies......since I have been feeling this way I tried to add a fiber supplement (Arbonne) and also tried some cleansing teas...but nothing is working....I was also told about a year ago that I may or may not have PCOS..there was fluid on my ovaries, but no actual cysts...but not really had any problems since I cut out my birth control and gluten, which was over a year ago....any ideas?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Excess bloating can be caused by the other medical conditions.

mysticdoc :

Hypothyroid state should be checked with serum TSH level.

mysticdoc :

Gallbladder problem is another possibility.

mysticdoc :

Pancreatitis is another possibility.

mysticdoc :

These conditions should be checked by the CT scan of the abdomen with contrast.

mysticdoc :

You can try digestive enzyme supplement.

mysticdoc :

A probiotic like phillip's colon health will also help.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes

mysticdoc :

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

mysticdoc : Thanks for your question.
mysticdoc : Excess bloating can be caused by the other medical conditions.
mysticdoc : Hypothyroid state should be checked with serum TSH level.
mysticdoc : Gallbladder problem is another possibility.
mysticdoc : Pancreatitis is another possibility.
mysticdoc : These conditions should be checked by the CT scan of the abdomen with contrast.
mysticdoc : You can try digestive enzyme supplement.
mysticdoc : A probiotic like phillip's colon health will also help.
mysticdoc : this is one such example available in amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WMUQLY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003GPQEVK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0904KZWETP6E7AFZ6SE0
mysticdoc : Best wishes
mysticdoc : Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
it just wasn't very detailed, and I guess I expected them to ask for more information from me, and to give more info about the few things they suggested that it could be.

Hi--let me take over here. I assume you haven't had any tests for the problem? How are your bowel movements?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, no tests for this, about ayear ago I was having some issues with other things, and I had some blood testing done, for all sorts of things and it turned out all good.....as far as bowel movements, they are never super regular,sometimes diaharrea, but never severe or super frequent, but I have had fewer bowel movements than normal the last week or so....thats why I tried the fiber and tea thinking maybe I just needed to "go" so to speak, but it did not make that happen or make me feel any better

OK. So no cramping, abdominal pain, heartburn--just the distended abdomen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No cramping or pain really to speak of..very slight pain.....just mostly very uncomfortable.

OK So this is noticeable distension--as in someone else would look at you and think you were pregnant? And it's there all the time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am a fairly slim person, so I dont know that you would notice unless I was wearing a tight shirt. it has only been there for the last couple weeks.,, I had my husband look at it and feel it and he said, maybe you are pregnant..he also said that my belly felt very hard.

Does it feel hard to you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, fairly firm.. mostly right in the center of my abdomen about the level of my belly button and across and below.

Sorry for all the questions. If you tense your abdominal muscles as in doing a sit up does it get bigger, smaller, or stay the same?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

slighlty bigger

OK--is there one area that is more distended than anywhere else, like around your navel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess i would say it is generally at the level of my navel and around at that same level by my obliques.

OK--and we can continue after this if you need to but my first thought is that you may either have a periumbilical hernia or something called rectus diastasis (that one is very unlikely here). In other words, this sounds like a problem with the abdominal wall and not the intestines. Bloating and abdominal distension can cause something like what you describe but usually that's an on and off phenomenon and not constant. Chronic constipation could cause bloating like this, but you don't seem to have that problem. You need to have a doctor examine you and decide if a ct scan of the abdomen is in order here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you. Could any of these be caused by exercise?

Well, potentially yes with any exercise that flexes the abdominal muscles like sit ups. That's why I asked you what happened when you tightened your abdominal muscles. With a hernia that maneuver will cause it to pooch out whereas normalluy the anterior abdomen should lessen in girth.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice