Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am a 25 year old female and I have been experiencing symptoms

I am a 25 year old female and I have been experiencing symptoms of extreme fatigue, muscle weakness and heaviness and weight gain over the past few months. I have had my thyroid checked it was normal. B12 and Vit D, CBC, HEM, all normal. I take generic for yasmin birth control pills which I have been on for years with no problem. Sertraline 50mg, vit D and a multi vitamin. I am also a nurse. I also had a pregnancy test and A1c all normal. I had similar symptoms a year ago and my vit D was low and I have been taking Vit D ever since. I also get hot and cold flashes. I received a flu shot a couple of weeks ago. I am frustrated and tired of feeling tired and not myself. Any suggestions?
Was your TSH below 3.0 and did you have your cortisol levels checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was not told the level I just received a paper in the mail from my doctor that everything was within normal limits. I don't think my cortisol level was checked.

OK. I think this is most likely a hypothyroid situation and you need to see if the TSH was higher than three. Many doctors aren't aware of the newer guidelines that state that with the appropriate symptoms a patient with a TSH above 3 should be supplemented with thyroid hormone. I would also check you for a possible elevated cortisol level.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would causes an elevated cortisol level and how is it treated? What other health problems can occur from elevated cortisol levels.

I only mention it as a possibility since I really think you are hypothyroid. Adrenal hyperplasia can elevate cortisol levels as can an adrenal adenoma and sometimes a pituitary gland adenoma, secreting ACTH, can elevate cortisol levels. Besides the weight gain and fatigue, elevated cortisol levels can raise glucose levels in the blood and cause osteoporosis and put you at greater risk for a heart attack.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

My pleasure--any time and please let me know how it goes. Also please remember to rate my service to you.