Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I just received a recorded message from my grocery store that

I just received a recorded message from my grocery store that a product I recently bought "may" have been contaminated with e-coli bacteria and is being recalled...It was an 11 oz. package of spinach and spring mix greens. I ate the entire container in the past few days. I'm a little concerned that something might be in my system. Should I see my doctor or wait for symptoms? I had a little diarrhea this morning, but no other symptoms.

Please advise. Thank you.
Can you tell me a bit more about the diarrhea and any abdominal cramping or fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had some gas between yesterday and today, although the meals I prepared over the past few days contained beans, so I'm not sure if it was abnormal. The diarrhea seemed very mild; I've had much worse. It was more of a soft stool with some cramping and gas.

OK. For now, I think there isn't any reason for worry. We can't even be sure you actually ate food with E coli in it and usually the symptoms would be more severe than what you describe and would have begun sooner. If, by chance, you do begin to have more cramping and more like a watery stool, then you should have a stool culture obtined to check for the E coli.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok; if this happens, do I just request to have this test done from my doctor? If I don't get these symptoms is there anything I can take right now and in the future to guard me against this?

You can take probiotics for now. Your doctor can order the stool study if that becomes necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

You're very welcome--any time