Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have been having trouble with breathing when I do anything like walking across a parking

I have been having trouble with breathing when I do anything like walking across a parking lot, going upstairs, taking a light trush bag to the curb or even cooking. It sometimes hurts to breath deeply and I feel like my airways are swollen. What could this be? I do have allergies for which I take shots for weekly as well as nose spray for allergies. I also have sleep apnea in which I use a machine at night. Both of my parents dies with heart disease and heart attack
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Do you ever have associated chest pain or just the shortness of breath?

Do you have any swelling in the extremities?

Are you on any medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have some chest pain but not all the time. I seem to be swelling in stomach and feet and legs at times. I do take several meds, methatrexate, folic acid, dyazide, prilosec, astelin nose spray, vitamin D

Ok thank you for the reply and the added information.

First thing is to rule out any type of cardiac involvement. Especially since your parents both had heart disease and cardiac related deaths. My first suggestion is to have a EKG in your Dr's office - this will show anything that obvious. After that, your Dr may do a chest xray and the possibly have you go for a stress test. It's always best to make sure the heart is working at it's best then evaluate the breathing after that (possibly a pulmonary function test - non invasive). Your inability to carry out your activities of daily living is a sign that you need some intervention. Hopefully it will be found to be something manageable like Asthma or the allergies (and the allergies are terrible this time of year in the US) but it is important to make sure that's all it is.

Congestive heart failure can cause swelling in the extremities as well as in the lungs but every case of leg swelling or difficulty breathing is certainly not congestive heart, don't assume that you have it, just need to be sure.

You are already on a diuretic (dyazide) so that should be helping with the swelling if you are taking it every day (or as directed). If you haven't taken it lately, try taking a dose and see if your breathing is better and in the mean time, call your Dr and see if you can be worked in for a check up.