Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Customer Question

Random, sharp pains in left side and lower left abdomen. What could this be? I have not had a problem using the restroom.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have this pain?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Do you have nausea?
Any change in bowel movements?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This pain has been ongoing for about 2 weeks.

I have not undergone any tests so far. Last pap was about a month ago.

I have been having alot of nausea lately also.

My bowel movements are about the same but for me they aren't as normal as everyone else as I was born with an emphalacele. (intestines on outside of stomach)

I get nausea and gas easy. The gas is normal for me. Also a good bit of acid reflux.

I have in the last year had a colonoscopy, an upper GI, catscan etc done to make sure there were no problems with my stomach resulting from birth. None.
Dear Sasha
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described can be due to various causes like:diverticulitis,colonic infection or inflammation of the colon,mal absorption syndrome,(MAS),irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).Certain medications can also cause this.Diverticulitis can be a probable cause.

You need following tests:

-Ultrasound of lower abdomen,
-Repeat Colonoscopy,
-Repeat Endoscopy,
-Stool examination & culture,
-Barium meal studies
-Barium follow through(BFT)

Although you have colonoscopy, an upper GI, cat scan last year,but you may need a repeat of this tests.First you need simple inexpensive stool test so as to reveal/rule out most of the causes.Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.As you were born with an emphalacele,so I advice you to make an appointment with gastroenterologist doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-