Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Skin under chin has puckers, slightly loose skin that comes

Customer Question

Skin under chin has puckers, slightly loose skin that comes and goes with inflammation due to neck injury and allergies and weight loss over last 6 months. Can anything help improve this skin area? It is mainly the area right under the mouth, parallel to ground. It had gotten better when inflammation goes down, but I have been in a somewhat dry environment the last 2 months and some stress.I am not always drinking enough fluids, and need to gain about 5 pounds and start exercising more. This is getting me down.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer :

Hi.

Dr Brims :

Is the skin wrinkled?

Customer :

Well, its like when the inflammation goes down it has maybe three wrinkles that appear when I turn my head, and it is right under the chin.

Dr Brims :

Have they determined what is causing the inflammation?

Customer :

That area feels a little bit looser than it did say a year ago, before all this trauma, or variations in the size of my neck.

Dr Brims :

Please see last question

Customer :

I had whip lash a year ago which cause inflammation in my shoulder and the left side of my neck which gets better when I have done yoga, but can still get sore and inflammed. I also have allergies which make nasal passages and facial swelling.

Customer :

And it seems like if I get dehydrated, not eating enough food due to stress, things seem to get worse, inflammed. When I drink lots of water and fruit, etc and exercise it seems like the inflammation goes down. Also, using nasal irrigation helps with nasal passages.

Dr Brims :

Okay, you may need to use cream with vitamin E to help it heal

Customer :

Can the skin shrink again at my age? With proper diet, etc.

Dr Brims :

Yes, it may be able to shrink with time

Customer :

And if worse came to worse is there cosmetic surgery that can address that one small area? Also, might gaining a bit more weight (I've lost too much due to stress) or taking fish oil help things fill out a little or improve?

Customer :

Thank you for your help. Those are my last questions.

Dr Brims :

Cosmetic surgery would be able to help if needed

Dr Brims :

gaining weight would help, but is not advisable as it is not a permanent fix

Dr Brims :

fish oil may help

Customer :

Thank you.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

Please remember to click on a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Dr Brims :

Perhaps the system is having problems

Dr Brims :

If you can see this message, would you mind leaving a rating ?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to see my replies in the chat?