Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have a lump under my chin on the left side and that side

I have a lump under my chin on the left side and that side of my neck is also swollen. I assume a lymph node, but not quite sure. It developed about 2 days after the rash on my neck started. Its about 2 and a half inches in width, sort of bumpy/scab-like and its very sensitive to touch. Also, I developed another rash by my clavical that kind of itches. What in the world is going on? I don't have any allergies and I don't have a sore throat.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Is the lump painful?

Customer:

nope

Customer:

sometimes the area underneath the lump and above the rash is itchy though...

Customer:

just a swollen part

Customer:

any more questions?

Dr Brims :

yes

Dr Brims :

This may be a reaction from a local inflammatory response

Dr Brims :

The rash may cause this

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

yeah i figured the rash was the catalyst for the swelling, the clump of white blood cells are trying to fight something... that is why its there

Customer:

I just don't know what the rash is

Dr Brims :

Thats likely correct

Dr Brims :

Does the rash itch?

Customer:

no

Customer:

it would probably be pretty painful to scratch it

Customer:

its bumpy

Customer:

like chicken skin

Customer:

only every single little bump is also a mini scab thing

Dr Brims :

Okay, then you need to have it examined, by a dermatologist, you may require prescription cream to treat it

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Dr Brims :

Please respond if you can see my replies

Dr Brims :

If you don't reply I will assume there is a system problem

Customer:

hi

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

a dermatoligist?

Dr Brims :

Are you having computer problems?

Customer:

no, I just got a phone call so i was distracted

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

will the lymph nodes be able to heal it?

Dr Brims :

The lymph nodes do not heal skin, , it may be able to heal on its own, but that is not associated with the lymph node

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

is the swelling from the lymph node or from teh scab?

Customer:

the whole side of my neck is swollen

Dr Brims :

The swelling is likely from the scab

Dr Brims :

It may cause local inflammation and therefore also cause the node to swell

Customer:

hmm what is local inflammation?

Dr Brims :

inflammation in a small area

Customer:

also, there is another rash that developed underneath my clavicle near my left shoulder. It is a different looking rash than the one on my neck

Dr Brims :

That rash is likely unrelated

Customer:

what causes rashes?

Dr Brims :

allergic reactions, infections, and irritation are some common causes

Customer:

Do you know how long it might take to heal on its own?

Dr Brims :

It may take days to weeks

Customer:

they aren't contagious or anything right?

Dr Brims :

No, they are not contagious

Customer:

is it normal for areas that are swelling to itch?

Customer:

are there any over-the-counter medicines that could help? Maybe like coritozone/anti-itch creams?

Dr Brims :

That is normal, they may itch, but they also may not

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes, i asked two questions and you only answer the first...

Customer:

so i was just waiting

Dr Brims :

Cortisone cream may help with itching and swelling

Customer:

hmm

Customer:

well the rash isn't anything serious so basically i shouldn't worry about it

Customer:

its just so random

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry, I am not sure what you are asking in your last reply

Customer:

uhm, basically... this rash isn't anything too serious right?

Dr Brims :

It likely is not, but only a physical exam can make sure of that, without seeing it and examining it it is impossible to be sure

Customer:

right, okay. If it doesn't go away in the next 2 weeks i'll go get it checked. Thanks for your help!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

Please remember to click on a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience