Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dr. Chip my doctor told me I dont need to test again. My test

Customer Question

Dr. Chip my doctor told me I don't need to test again. My test was negative at 65 days. Can I move on with my life?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I've already told you you need to move on with your life. Can you do that now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think so. I remember you saying 10 weeks would be conclusive. I tested at nine weeks. Am I safe?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are safe, so move on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there no need for further testing? I rather not test again. I have negative test 7, 8 and 9.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No need for any more testing--let it go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will. I am just worried with my ocd that something will come up and I will assume . I never tested . If I was to test again should I expect another negative?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, another test will be negative and you should be working with a counselor about your OCD which still seems to be active here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Believe it or not, I am doing much better but, every now and then negative thoughts haunt me. I want sleep with my boyfriend again and I know he doesn't have anything because he has tested for life ins and is in the milatary and gets tested every year. I have the doc I work for who has been testing me all along telling me to stop this and sleep with the man. The counselor tells me the same.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then go ahead and live your life and let all this go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try. Thanks. You have been right all along.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You're fine--and, again, move on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again. I would test again but, I am not able to find places that do the rapid test in my city that I haven't already gone to, and everytime I send a specimen to the lab I panic. That is why the doc I work for said it's not worth you getting this upset and test again. I just have these horrible thoughts that I am going to hurt my boyfriend and get him sick.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's an irrational fear and you need to let go of it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try. If I test again at 10 weeks can that be conclusive. I am conclusive now?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You're conclusive now--no need for more tests
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX everthing.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You've always been welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. my throat is very red and feels irritated. I still have the very tiny white dots on one tonsill. It doesn't hurt to swallow nor do I feel any swollen glands. I can't help but, feel paranoid.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not HIV. Could either be strep throat and the white dots could be small tonsiliths--little stones in the tonsil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no fever and no pain in my throat. Could it be from a post nasal drip? I never saw those little dots before. They have been there for a couple of weeks now. Do you still think its ok to not test again?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Still no need to retest. Could be from post nasal drip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Basically nothing I feel from now on will be related to having hiv? I have had problems with my throat since this started for some reason. It is very red, maybe it's always been that way. The little white dots I have no idea. I use to get these white things inside my tonsill all the time and I would sometimes cough them up and they would be very smelly. Any idea what those are? I have always wanted to ask a doctor . They would cause no pain or symtoms.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
They could be tonsiliths and nothing serious. You could also have the reflux problem. But from now on you shouldn't think anything physical is related to HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try. It's hard. I try and tell myself how can it possibly change in 2 weeks. If I do test can I be confident it will be negative?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--it will be negative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, doctor. Today I noticed those needle head sized white dots on my other tonsil. I think I had them on the one tonsil during the time I've been testing, I'm assuming it would have been positive? I still have the throat discomfort on and off. I think that has also been going on since this all started. I'm trying to move but, thinks like this make it so difficult. Could it be tonsillitis with no swollen nodesn and no pain swallowing. Could I have gotten some other std in my throat. I wasn't planning on testing again . I thought with his negative 7 week tesIt which
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

You have to stop defaulting to HIV with any of this. Potentially it could be tonsilitis or tonsil stones, but nothing you've mentioned is a symptom of HIV. And, no, this isn't any other STD of the throat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had tonsil stones for many years but, normally in the tonsil. Can they be on the ouside of the tonsil and multiple. These don't come off they look like they are under the skin almost.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You just said these were also on the other tonsil--you didn't say any were outside the tonsils
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, on the outside but, very tiny . The size of a needle head. The stones would always be in my tonsil. Thats why I'm concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
These can be very small and yes stones can occur on both tonsils. Absolutely not a sign of any STD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That makes me feel better . I didn't know they could present in that way. I'm use to having the big stone inside the tonsil. These are running on the outside of the tonsil look like they are under the skin. Of course this has to happen now.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The stones begin in the tonsillar crypts which are on the surface--no need to be so worried about this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have the allergist look at my throat on friday. I only noticed them on the one tonsil that day but, he had no comment other than my throat looked good. I guess I worried because I noticed some on both now.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing to worry about and they may be gone by tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really. I seem to be getting more. Although, I believe I mentioned them to you before and I think sometimes they are more visible than others. I'm sorry, to be redundant. This has been such a long hard road for me. At this point I'm trying to accept I'm fine and move on. The therapist seems to think I should test again for closure but, I am so over this, and with his multiple negatives and my last test. Intellectually I think its impossible for him to have been in a window period.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Is that all he's done in therapy--just that one suggestion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That, and try to have me picture good moments . Which I might add is very difficult at this time. At least this I've agrees my results are conclusive. The first one said I needed to test for 6 months . Even I can accept thats wrong. This one just has asked alot of questions about my life. Do you think I need a family doctor or a psychiatrist to prescribe something.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You might need some medication but I think you need a much more effective therapist--doesn't sound like this one is capable of helping you deal with your OCD problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to think that once. I get closure. My ocd will be back to being mild. We established I have always had it. I want closure now. Is it really worth putting myself thru more stress for a test result that is close to 100% and definitive for some experts.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Honestly--and I hate to seem negative here--I don't think any more testing, which I'm certain will be negative--will give you closure, and I really don't like the word because I think it's too often misused and inappropriate for a situation like yours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, its ok. I must say I really respect your opinion. I never thought I had ocd until you brought it to my attention as a possibility. I am hopeful doctor. I know in the past excercise helped me a lot. I am afraid to start taking drugs but, maybe I could benefit. Right now I'm working on not continuing to test.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Medication might be useful, but I'd first like to see you in an intensive CBT therapy program.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look into that.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Please do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will keep you posted. Good night ,and many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure--any time
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. a 10 week negative with a rapid test this morning. I am jumping for joy.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good news but I knew it would be negative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you did, You have been right all along. I really can stop testing now?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--absolutely no need for any more testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for everything. I am hoping I can let this go. I will seek out the therapy we talked about. I suppose I can finally sleep with my future husband. I don't think I can test again anyway. I have gone to every place that offers rapids in this town.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Take care and get the therapy--I still think you do need it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. I am feeling kind of scared still. If I continue to test. Do you predict I will be negative?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--I'm sure of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it really not necessary to go on with this? What are the possiblities of my results chaning by week 12?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I've told you before--you're negative and that won't change. You really need the counseling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I do. I really don't want to test again.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I told you before that even if you do retest you still probably won't be able to let go and move on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You did. I am just having a hard timing accepting I don't need to test out to 12 weeks but, I really do want to believe I am fine.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Get into the counseling as soon as possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try. I have never acted this way before. I'm afraid my result will change. Is a rapid the same as sending it to the lab?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The same, yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wake up every morning with an irratation in my throat as the day goes on it subsides.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
We've talked about that before--probably reflux, certainly not HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about my personality change. Is that a symptom of anything?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
A symptom of anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read somewhere it can be a symptom of hiv
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Geez you read too much. You were reading about neuroAIDS with dementia--real craziness. You don't have a personality change--you're just overcome with anxiety and obsessive/compulsive thinking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually read it on here a doctor telling a patient with a 7 week negative that. I'm sorry. I know I'm driving you crazy. I want to accept my conclusive result and move on. Would you tell anyone they were conclusive at this point?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You're not driving me crazy at all. I'd tell anyone else exactly the same thing--it's conclusive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I never thought I would still be this worried. I feel like I should be thanking God for a second chance.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then be grateful and let that let you turn it all over to God and just move on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to know 100% that I am disease free.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr. chip.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. next weekend will be the 12 wees. If I retest sometime before the weekend can I put it behind me and do you honestly think it will be negative?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Of course it will be negative and a few days won't make any difference.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am terrified that my results will change in the next week.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I promise you they won't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I am dying with anxiety here. I wanted so much to move on already. Dr. why do they have this 12 week window if you call my 10 week conclusive. Help me understand?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
12 weeks is just where the statistics point to--there isn't anything specific about 12 weeks itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When do you feel comfortable calling a patient conclusive then? 8 weeks 10 weeks? When can a person really move on knowing they won't hurt anyone?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I call it conclusive at eight weeks. You move on when you accept that the test is negative and will always be negative, but, as I've told you before, it may not matter how many doctors tell you you're absolutely negative if your mind won't let it go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am way beyond 8 weeks. You would recommend no further testing beyond 8 weeks? That does make me feel better. Despite symptoms? My throat to this day still bothers me and still has those white dots. I will have to take it to the end even though I would love to move on with this result.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I've told you before that a lot of what's been going on with you could be attributed to lots of thinks besides HIV and HIV doesn't really cause prolonged symptoms until the white count gets very low and yours has been fine. And, I've told you before--you don't need any more testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know you have but, I really think I won't let it go until I get the last test. I have done it this long . I just needed to hear that you are certain it won't change. I have faith I will get better. In my mind I keep thinking I am going to be that one weird person that converts late. Have you ever heard of a positive test after 10 weeks?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Never beyond 12 weeks but that's rare. But what you've just said is what I'm talking about--even if you are negative at 12 weeks you may tell yourself you're going to be the one in millions of millions that is going to convert later than that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I won't think that but, what makes you think I am safe to stop now?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Because of your original scenario--nearly a zero percent chance of being infected in the first place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really? Is it the fact that he tested negative also? Or the 1 in 1000 risk?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I really should have said zero percent when you add in the fact that he also tested negative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we both tested negative at seven weeks with a rapid. Dr. the woman at the center I called to schedule my appt. for next week told me my results can change in 9 days but then she tells me it doesn't matter if I test at 80 days versus 84.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You really don't need to listen to her--that's part of your OCD. Four days makes no difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know but, its 9 days to go until I get to the 12 weeks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then wait for the 12 week mark to pass--that seems to be the only way you'll be satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The 12 week mark will be on a weekend it will be a few days before but, I know that won't matter. It's just the torture I am living in. Like I said before I can't wait to tell you--you were right. I just hope I stay negative.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You will stay negative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, doctor I will let you know what happens. Please say a prayer for me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. I wanted to let you know 11.1 week negative!! You are genus . They told me at testing its not changing in 5 or 6 days.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Great--so now you can let go of all this and get on with life?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can. You believe that those results are accurate?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely--you've always been negative and that will not change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your patience and support. You truly are an expert. You were right all along. I am going to seek out the therapy we talked about. God bless.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My best to you too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I wanted to tell you I had a 91 day negative. You know I was going to take this to the end. I had to tell you how right you were. Thanks, so much!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good to hear--now let it go and get on with life
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. chip last night I woke up in the middle of the night and I was sweaty not drenched . I guess I would have noticied. I was feeling great but, that has really scared me I also still have the throat discomfort on and off I always talked about. Do you think I should be worried?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't tell me you're still worried about HIV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did get worried about that. I was doing fine until I woke up in that sweat.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So you had one night of waking up in a sweat and that worried you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did. I can't lie . I went and got tested this morning it would have been 100 days or so. Do I need to retest at 6 months. The man at the center told me its outdated but, I can if I want to.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'ed say that if you have to ask me that question, then your subconscious is not going to be satisfied until you retest at 6 months, but, of course, that test will also be negative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really don't think I can put another milestone on this. I want to be 100% sure I don't have it. Would I have tested positive if the throat and the sweat was related?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you would have tested positive in that case
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In your opinion do I need to test at 6 months. Is that truly outdated?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You don't need to retest--you're negative. End of story.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will hopefully not have anymore sweats that really freaked me out. Should I not attribute anything else to hiv not matter what it is. I can't continue living like this. Then the man at the center tells me if I am so concerned why don't I go and donate blood he says they test it very well but, I don't feel like doing that.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Nothing in the way of symptoms you get from here on is related to HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks doctor. I just don't know when this fear will leave me? Everything that happens I relate it to that.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Stick with therapy for OCD--get some CBT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try. Its just that I thought 12 weeks was enough for testing and that I go on with no fears of hiv no matter what the symptoms I exprienced.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You now need to get control of your thoughts and to stop letting them rule you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was doing fine but, I have never woke up in the middle of the night and been sweaty could that be something else? or only if it continues only?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Only if it becomes a persistent problem but don't go looking on the internet about night sweats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Of course you know I did and that's why I ran and got the test. I am hoping I was just hot I was covered to my neck and my son was sleeping right next to me. I fell right back to sleep after I turned off some lights and felt my body was sweaty and hairline. I just don't want this to creep up on me in the future. I just want to be happy and move on.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then be happy and move on. Stop with the useless worrying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will do my best. I keep getting such mixed info.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So don't go looking for any more info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You wouldn't suggest 6 month testing to a patient?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I hope I always remain negative. This has been killing me and I thought I was at the end of the road.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You are at the end of the road but you keep backstepping.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I will eventually accept that I am fine. This has been so scary Dr. Chip. Them telling me a test at 3 months is 97% when I thought it was a 100% put me back also.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You'll be fine--you just have to let go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

God hear you Dr. I hope I don't need to contact you again.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'll be here if you do need me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr . when I got my negative I took two pics of the negative results. The next day when I looked at them I noticed one looked perfect and the other had a white line under the control. I went back and he said he saw a negative.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not sure I understand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took two pics with my phone of my negative results and one has a whitish line under the negative control line but, the tech gave me a negative result. Could it be that he missed something? I'm worried all over again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Can you show me the photos?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I deleted the one question. Do you think I should have my blood drawn ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Why?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do double check that I was indeed negative. Could it have just been the camera. One pic looks great. It was the one I deleted that had the lines.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I think it just was the camera--a white line under the control would have no significance at all--the negative was still negative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wash clos to the negative too not by the t. It was an oraquick. My friend whom I showed the pic to pointed out a line above the control too. Maybe it was the camera. Do you think I will be negative if I test thru the lab?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes you will be negative--I'm sure of that. Now it's time to close this page--it's gotten too long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I understand. I'm afraid to let it go. I now have to wait until next week. I'm confused. How can the camera cause that. I hope you are right. Then again the line would be visible in both pics and its not in the other pic.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter about the camera and the line--the report was negative
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Chip I just got my cbc back the absoulte eosinophils are low at 13 and rdw are 15.8 high. What does an absoulte eosinophils being low mean??? Please help.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Nothing clinically at all--when they're elevated it indicates an allergic type disorder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok,my cmp was all normal. I retested since my camera picked up that line. I hope it truly was negative. I'm seeing a new therapist this week and I am going to ask the pcp for meds. I know I'm going to need help accepting I'm fine.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It'll take time and work on your part to let it go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Do ythe ou think I will be negative with blood?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Chip I had a negative blood test . I am getting help. Seeing a new therapist this week. Thanks for everything.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Welcome--just let go and move on with your life
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will. I am going to get help to try and do so. You were right about everything all along. Happy holidays and God Bless!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Same to you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Chip do you have any idea what could be causing my throat discomfort ? I was looking at my cbc and when I started testing in sept. my absoulte esonophils droped from 24 to 13. It's so hard to get over this when I have this constant throat thing going on.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Have you had an ENT look at your throat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I had the allergist look at it. He said he saw nothing of concern he had me swallow a few times and said I had some mucous and put me on nasonex for a month. It's so hard to get over this when I keep feeling weird things like this. What about the drop in blood work?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The drop in the eosinophil count just means your allergic condition is improving. What exactly is it that you're calling a throat discomfort?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's hard to even explain. Sometimes I get sharp pains back there dry mouth and like a constant awareness. It doesn't hurt to swallow and sometimes I still wake up with the irratation in the back of my throat. I also have a bad taste in my mouth a lot. Dr. I am scared. Is it possible that I could turn up positive later?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Oh, for Pete's sake stop it about being positive later on. Again, at most your throat problem may be from reflux but it certainly doesn't indicate anything serious.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really? You believe it's nothing serious? I don't feel like I have reflux and the whole throat thing started 3 months. I am sorry but, I am trying to put this behind me and it doesn't help that I keep feeling all these aliments. What about the dry mouth I have on and off?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Dry mouth can just be anxiety or a little dehydration. Nothing you've told me so far makes me worry anything serious is going on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could it be depression and anxiety? What if it continues? My last test was the test sent to quest at 14 or 15 weeks. Do I need to retest? I just don't know what else to do? I am so hyper aware of everything now. I really hope this therapist can help me. My thyriod medicine got decreased months ago and I never went back. Could it be that? See I am typing this and feeling the sharp pains in the back of my throat. It does hurt to swallow a little. Could I have throat cancer?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--throat cancer isn't painful and you really are becoming a hypochondriac here. No, no, no, NO!!! You don't need to retest. As for anxiety and depression--I think you have both and together they can make you think minor things mean major health problems. As for the thyroid thing--you need your thryoid functions tested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You must understand I read a lot in the beginning and there is a lot of info. 3 month and 6 month windows. I have an appointment with a pcp next week and the new therapist. I can't believe I have become this person. I was never this way before. I don't want to retest believe me. I can't go another three months thinking like this.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just jump into therapy with both hands--that's all you need for now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will but, what do you really think about the 6 month thing? Is it outdated? Can I really be sure this won't come back to haunt me someday? That's my biggest fear. Do you think therapy alone. I am starting to think I need meds.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Meds maybe but definitely therapy. You don't need the 6 month test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really do need to get better. I want to let go of this fear. I thought I would be better by now. Instead I am questioning everything. You think the throat thing no matter how constant or how bad it gets it has nothing to do with hiv? I test over and over and I will remain negative? My goal is to not test again.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely nothing to do with HIV. You'll always be negative but no matter how much you test until you get proper therapy you'll worry that somehow, someday, you will test positive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am definately not putting it off any longer. I just hope she isn't like the last one telling me that a 3 month wasn' conclusi ve.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You need therapy--cognitive behavioral therapy--and not a discussion about HIV testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I not mention my obession with the therapist?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes but it isn't the role of the therapist to discuss the testing and the timing of the testing--that's not their area of expertise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see. Do you think I should discuss it with the pcp ? I would only bring it up because maybe I need an antidepressant . I have always been reluctant but, I'm so tired of this negativity.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--it's fine to talk about it to your PCP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will. I guess in time I will accept I'm fine . I just hope 14 15 week s is truly enough and that I get the same opinion from her. I want my life back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was concerned about my absolute esonophil value being out of range?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Your are fine physically. The only thing an elevated eosinophil count means is that there's an allergic condition going on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine was very low not high. I read that could mean infection or something viral is that true?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
A low value means absolutely nothing at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, there really is a lot of crazy info online. I read it meant alcohol intoxication or your body producing to much cortisone. Among it being viral. No wonder people like met go nuts.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Those are only when you take into account other factors--other tests and conditions. In your case, there's nothing to worry about here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about my concern would I have tested positive if they were related to that? I have never had them low before?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, low eosinophils are not related to HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'm just concerned. They have gotten lower and lower over these last months. Would my test have been positive if the chemistry was altered due to the disease?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what exactly you meant by that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when this whole thing started my esonophils were within range. I have read that they can become low if there is an infection going on. How true is that? I haven't been able to get in to see the doctor yet or wouldn't continue to bother you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If your white count and the rest of the differential beyond the eosinophil count is normal then there's nothing to worry about here. You really are stretching it to try to link this to HIV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My rdw was high at 15.8 but, those were the only two abnormals.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all to worry about then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The allergist told me they are only a concern if they are high. I have just never had an off value on anything except low hemoglobin and high rdw. Now my hemo was 12.7 its just this all just makes me so nervous. he told me steriods would lower it but, I have taken no steriods.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
None of this has anything to do with HIV--you need to let that go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will try. Are you sure its not necessary to keep testing. This is killing me.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--you're negative an there's no reason for any more testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I really wish I could accept that and move on. I thought 3 months was golden and I would be able to move on. When I first tested in sept. My absolute eos were 24 no they have gone down to 13. Can infection bring them down?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No infection won't do that and please let the eo thing go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try. I am sitting here spending money I don't have going to doctors I wonder if I even really need to go to anyone other than the therapist.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You really only need the therapist now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only reason I wanted to see the pcp was to maybe get an antidepressant or anti anxiety. Dr. chip who is required to test until 6 months?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No one is required to test at 6 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Really? Please I hope you aren't saying that just to try and help me move on. No offense. Should I worry if the eos continue to be low?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not just saying that--fact. The eos are nothing to worry about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Can a pcp take care of my thyriod levels and meds?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Chip the infectious doctor office states you need to re check in 6 months. I will try at least wait patiently and with confidence. I just pray that I will remain negative.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You are negative and you always will be but hold on until the last test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. I didn't understand that? Did you mean don't keep testing?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You don't but with what you've been told you won't be able to let it go until you test the one last time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am hoping the therapist will help me and maybe drawing a cmp and cbc again and seeing no changes will help. I was never this way. In the past I never worried about this. I feel like such a crazy person.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You've got a major obsessive/compulsive thinking problem but that can be treated effectively with CBT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand why I didn't have it before and now I do. Would my white count be elavated if I truly had a problem?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why can't you just stop for now--you're going around in circles and really for now you need to concentrate on something else besides you health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will. Thank you for puting up with me. You are really a big help. I thought I would be able to let this go and 3 months but, any little thing throws me off. The eos, the throat thing; it sets me back. Can my anxiety affect those counts?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, anxiety wouldn't affect the counts but obsessing on them causes the anxiety
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, forget the hiv. You don't think those low eos are indicative of any disease? Of course I read they can be. Is that something that can correct itself?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I think when you get those rechecked they'll be in normal range. Low eos by themselves don't indicate anything serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is a week to soon to recheck them? A month ago they were fine.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If they were fine a month ago then let it all go and no need for a recheck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I take that back . They were normal in september. If you think having it chronically low is no problem I will let it go. My test was negative at 14 weeks close to 15 they ran the test when it was 15 weeks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Let it all go and we need to close this page--it's gotten much too long
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will keep in touch.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Please do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One last question if I re test and those lab values remain the same. Should I worry?? I hope this never comes back to haunt me and I want to remain negative.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Still there'd be no reason to worry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, doctor. Couldn't do this without you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Chip I just talk to a hemotologist. at quest that told me that all the eos means is that there was a low amount persent in the specimen and that it means nothing . Rdw are just the size of my rbc'c and that also means nothing for diagnostic purposes. She also told me that a 15 week result should be conclusive only reason to re test if is that patient is paranoid. I also called an std hotline that told me that 3 months is conclusive. Sorry, I know this is all the same things you have been telling me but, with my ocd it helps to hear the same info from different sources.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Take that and what I've been telling you and let it all go and don't do any more research
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am still seeing the therapist next week. I hope that helps. I will try my best to move on. I hope with time I will feel better. God forbid I ever draw my blood and my labs are off.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You'll be fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At this point would it matter if the guy was positive or not? Is 3 months conclusive anyway?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't matter--you're not infected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. remember that rapid I took a pic of with my camera phone . The one I told you that in one ofthe pics weird white lines were picked up. Could the lab test following that rapid have been negative if there truly had been a problem?