Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

my wife is 20 weeks pregnant with our 5th child, all children

my wife is 20 weeks pregnant with our 5th child, all children born healthy. so far the pregnancy has been normal. with our last child she suffered with back problems at about this time in the pregnancy which seemed like it was sciatica but it passed after a few weeks. Yesterday she woke up with a stiff back after playing tennis and gradually it got worse throughout the day to the point she is now totally unable to move and is in agonizing pain. it is so bad she is unable to stand, or even turn from lying on her back to her side. My wife has extremely high pain tolerance, but she has been sobbing in pain. When she tried to get up to go to the bathroom, with my assistance, it took 5 minutes, and she could not make it. when she sat back down on the bed, she said it was so painful that her back started spasming and it spread to her uterus whic she said began spasming as well. That has since passed, but the back spasms are still there, and she is completely immobile and has a lot of pain. I've just given her 1000 mg of paracetemol and have tried heating pads and massage. is there anything else that i can do, and should she go to the hospital? We called the emergency maternity ward and they told us there is nothing they can do, but given my experience with the NHS i'm not too sure...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 years ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Customer:

hi Dr Brims, thank you...

Customer:

i guess you've reviewed the question

Dr Brims :

She may take flexeril, a muscle relaxant, it is safe to use during pregnancy

Dr Brims :

They can give this to her at the hospital

Customer:

ok great...is that avail in the UK?

Dr Brims :

It stops spasms

Dr Brims :

yes, it is

Customer:

I would take her to the emergency room but i cannot even get her out of bed...is what she has anything serious? besides the pain obviously

Dr Brims :

Does her uterus/abdomen feel hard and painful?

Customer:

sometimes hard but not painful

Customer:

it only happened when she was getting the spasms when she tried getting out of bed to go to the bathroom

Dr Brims :

Okay, I would not take chances, I would definitely take her to the emergency room

Customer:

question is how to get there. I called there but they told us there is nothing they can do for back spasms and not to come in...that's why i came here...

Customer:

that's the NHS for ya ...

Dr Brims :

You can't call an ambulance?

Customer:

perhaps that is what I will do. Better safe than sorry...

Dr Brims :

My thoughts exactly

Customer:

the pain does seem to have slightly subsided but nonetheless I'm always erring on the side of cautious

Dr Brims :

You should, especially because she is pregnant

Customer:

Ok will do. thank you very much for your help!

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience