Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

This question has to do with a sensation I get when I sleep

This question has to do with a sensation I get when I sleep sometimes. It seems to happen as I am either falling into a deep sleep or am awaking. It feels like a buzzing or something electrical in my head. I have read up on sleep paralysis and it seems like it culd be a fit. It used to happen years ago but I just figured I was getting flashbacks from my high school and college yeras of drug experimentation. But now since I am older a bit more aware and concerned about my health, I am wondering what it could be. I take 1.5 mg klonopin now, but it was happening before meds. It probably occurs once a month or every two months. It is almost a good feeling or a euphoric feeling of a buzzing or electrical something...I also usually feel like I am half awake...any thoughts?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you had any sleep studies?

Customer:

No

Dr Brims :

Have you had any tests at all?

Customer:

I went to see the nuerologist, and pulminologist, who both looked in the back of my throat to see about possible sleep apnea..but neither thought my throat looked like I would have it.

Customer:

Yes, I have had a brain MRI with and without contrast, came back normal with mucous retention cysts.

Customer:

I had a brain CT scan without contrast last December which also came back normal but with the mucous retention cysts. I also get nasal polyps from time to time due to the seasonal changes and my allergies.

Dr Brims :

Okay, that does not sound reasonable , the only way to diagnose sleep apnea is with a sleep study or pulsox connected to you while you sleep

Customer:

I have had a PFT test done, but nothing done while I was sleeping.

Customer:

Also a heart monitor for 24 hours, treadmill stress test, several ekgs, and an ultrasound of the heart, along with a chest xray and a barium swallow...all normal. Just had a metabolic disease blood panel done and all came back normal as well...

Dr Brims :

Okay, that is good, then the only thing left is to have a sleep study

Customer:

Well, have you heard of these symptoms before?

Customer:

Had patients with similar symptoms?

Customer:

I mean I was worried about MS or something, but my MRI with contrast would have shown lesions if I had it right?

Customer:

I mean I know I should get the sleep study...its just I have a lot of medical bills from this last year..all mainly from anxiety they think..and withdrawl efects from xanax. they thought it was my heart, then maybe my lungs, now my nuero thinks I have anxiety and almost at the point of phobia when it comes to my health. I am just trying to see if you have heard ofthese symptoms before??

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes...

Customer:

Did you not see my other replies?

Customer:

Had patients with similar symptoms?

7:30 PM

7:35 PM

Dr Brims :

MS would have appeared on an MRI

Dr Brims :

I have heard of these type of symptoms and seen them, usually they are caused by anxiety or sleep apnea

Customer:

Ok, that is great news, that is what I had read, but I am not the Dr. and definitely far form an expert. Did the sleep apnea cause the buzzing?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it may cause the buzzing

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

I know my Dad was diagnosed with sleep apnea, but decided the oxygen mask was too hard to sleep with so he just sleeps on his side..maybe its hereditary, but my wife says I do not snore. It is funny because one of the things my nuero first asked me at my consult was if I snored and he asked my wife..she said i dont

Dr Brims :

okay, you don't have to snore to have sleep apnea

Customer:

what are other symptoms?

Dr Brims :

Symptoms of what?

Customer:

Apnea?

Dr Brims :

Daytime sleepiness is one possible symptom, but it may not always be present

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Customer:

Ok, well I get the daytime sleepiness

Customer:

Therea re two types of apnea right?

Customer:

Nuero and throat losing.

Customer:

throat closing.

Dr Brims :

Yes, central and obstructive

Customer:

What about sleep Paralysis?

Dr Brims :

What about it?

Customer:

That message did not come through....does it sound at all like sleep paralysis?

Customer:

From what I have read, some people get the buzzing, also, they feel half awake and can not move. I can tell you that there have been times where it felt like I was holding my breath in my sleep..I probably need a sleep test.

Customer:

Ok, you have been great and will get an excellent rating from me. If I have sleep apnea, what are the cures or remedies?

Dr Brims :

If you have sleep apnea, you would wear a CPAP mask, or you may not require treatment, it depends on how severe it is

Customer:

So could anxiety during ay...possibly be going on while IM sleeping, even on the klonopin?

Customer:

anxiety during the day

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is possible

Customer:

So then anxiety could cause the apnea somehow...I will just do a study? Do you know how long they last?

Dr Brims :

It lasts a few hours, 5-6

Customer:

Ok. And if it is central apnea, the mask will most likely be the herapy right?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

Who knows, maybe the musoucs retention cyst or nasal polyps are effecting my breathing while i sleep as well. Hope you have a nice night. Here is your excellent rating. Thank you for your help!