The causes of the bitter taste in throat and constant spitting mucus, are following possibilities:
1) Post nasal drip
2) Sinus infections
3) Gastroesophageal reflux disease
4) Medications; the side effects can appear anytime
Drinking plenty of fluids fluids and avoiding the caffeine and alcohol drinks (if you do) is the first step of the management.
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the commonest cause of these symptoms. It is many times associated with the hiatal hernia so following investigations are necessary for the complete evaluation;
1) upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (camera exam)
2) esophageal manometry (food pipe pressure study) and
3) pH study of the food pipe (esophagus).
These are done by a gastroenterologist.
A comprehensive management of GERD and hiatal hernia are;
1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec
3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.
For acid reflux (GERD), following also would be helpful;
1) Nux Vomica
C. Nutrition and supplements;
1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
If these measures are not effective for 3-6 weeks, surgery may be necessary.
The treatment of post nasal drip (which is another cause for your symptoms) is;
1) nasal saline spray; do not need prescription for it.
2) nasal corticosteroids / nasal cromolyn / nasal antihistamines may also be needed,
3) oral leukotriene inhibitors and
4) oral antihistamines; you may try Claritin D which is over the counter.
An evaluation by an ENT specialist would be recommended.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."
Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.