Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have a follow up to the earlier tonic water question. For

I have a follow up to the earlier tonic water question. For sciatica, how much would a person drink a day for it to be effective but safe. Certainly don't need additional problems by drinking too much tonic water! LOL

Well, first, do you understand that most of the discomfort from sciatica is from a nerve pinch and not from a muscle problem?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, this is for my mother and she was told by a friend it would work. I told her it might be pointless if she were not having cramps.

OK--three 12 oz bottles of tonic water a day would be safe and might be effective.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you believe in cherry juice concentrate for its anti-inflammatory properties? My dad swears by it for gouts prevention and I just wondered if it could have any affect on sciatica (even if a small affect)?

Actually, Montmorency cherries and their juice have been found to have antiinflammatory properties and are effective in gout so they may help with your mother. These cherries have the highest concentration of antiinflammatories of any food.