Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

My son is 14 and he just showed me his one foot, the bottom

My son is 14 and he just showed me his one foot, the bottom pad of the foot next to his toes is very swollen. he said it doesn't hurt but feels weird. what would cause this?

The foot does not appear red or overly hot.

Thank you for using JustAnswer for your concern.

Swelling can occur when fluid is trapped in the interstitial spaces (spaces in between the capillaries) of the tissue. This could occur if the venous or lymphatic return was somehow blocked (shoe or sock or position somehow preventing circulation from returning) or from injury (but you said that he does not complain of pain). You have not mentioned that he has any predispositioning condition such as diabetes (if he did, this would be important to know).

I would suggest that he elevate the foot tonight and monitor tonight, unless symptoms intensify. I would double check to see if his shoes and socks are still fitting him (a 14 year old is often growing rapidly as they experience a growth spurt around this age)

Swelling can also occur with infection, but usually redness will be present along with a visible break in the skin from an injury. It is possible to get cellulitis (swelling of the soft tissue due to infection from a non-visible injury.. it is rare, but possible).

If the swelling does not resolve or increase, then seeing the doctor for evaluation would be suggested.

Please reply if you have additional questions before rating my answer. I am standing by in case you do have any additional questions or need clarification.