Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

The other day I noticed a nagging stiffness in my right shoulder.

The other day I noticed a nagging stiffness in my right shoulder. I couldn't think of anything I did to cause it. The next day it was worse and I took 2 Ibuprofane, which seemed to help. The next day I could barely move my arm and the pain seemed to be spreading down even to the right side of my rib cage. This time I took 3 Indomethacine tablets throughout the day. It's much better today than it was, but it still doesn't feel quite right. I can't get medical insurance until February, but this is really worrying me. How serious could this be? It also feels like my right hand is colder than my left (but I could be imagining that). Should I consider this an emergency?
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Do you have neck pain radiating towards right arm?
Do you have numbness in right arm/shoulder?
Do you work on computer for long hours?
How long has this been going on for?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not have neck pain. The pain seemed to be spreading down my right arm (more in my armpit), which is what concerned me.

There seemed to be a numbing sensation creeping up along with the ache, but it never got numb.

Yes, I do work on computers and sit in a similar position for an entire workday.

It started I think Thursday evening. Got worse Friday, was really bad Saturday (which is when I took the Ibuprofane). It eased during the day, but got so bad Saturday night that I couldn't sleep, so I took Indomethacine Sunday, which seemed to help. Right now it almost seems normal, but I'm concerned that the medication is just masking a larger problem.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.

These symptoms are due to compression of nerve, going through shoulder and passing through arm.
This can occur with continuous work on computer for long hours.
You need to take short and frequent breaks while using your system.

You need to apply ice packs on cervical spine for 10-15 minutes and it can be done 3-4 times a day. You should take painkiller like Motrin twice a day.
You should take adequate rest, and remain away from lifting any heavy objects. You should not work on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Hot fomentation will also be helpful.
You can use Soft Collars, as it allows the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. Physical therapy will also be helpful.

In case symptoms doesn't start to improve in 1 week after using these measures, then you need to get X-ray of cervical spine. Your doctor may advise for a short course of oral corticosteroids, this helps to reduce swelling, as well as pain. Usually Physical therapy is very helpful.
As such these symptoms,are not serious, and you can use the tips as advised above, and safely wait up to 1 week.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.

It’s my goal to provide you with EXCELLENT SERVICE.
Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback.
Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for such a quick reply. I will try your recommendations. My main concern is that while the pain has eased considerably, it still "feels" like it's spreading down my right side and swelling (although there is no visual swelling). It's just weird to be in that much pain and have no recollection of doing anything to have caused it. Again, there is almost no pain now although it still feels funny. Hopefully it will go away. If not, I'll take your suggestion and have it x-rayed. Thank you again!

Kevin

Dear XXXXX, Most likely you had a nerve compression and with use of painkillers, symptoms will start to improve. Due to continuous work on computer ,it may cause such compression, and it can happen all of a sudden.
As such your symptoms,are not serious, and you can use the tips as advised above, and safely wait up to 1 week.

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you again. I will definitely leave excellent feedback about you. You're responses have been very expedient and informative. I will also pay extra if you want, but I have one FINAL question...

I noticed that I may have used the wrong terminology in my description. I described it as stiffness when it was actually restriction of movement due to pain. It originally felt like a rotator cuff injury. It definitely didn't feel like a nerve. It was more like joint and/or muscle pain. Each day the mobility of my arm more and more limited until I couldn't scratch the back of my head.

I also probably should have mentioned that I've had gout before (which is why I keep Indomethacine on hand). I haven't had an episode in a while, but I do get random pain sometimes in other joints like the knee or elbow. So I'm wondering if this could be some form of arthritis where something had built up in the rotator cuff joint.

I'm really sorry I failed to mention this. Again, if it is not life threatening, I'd like to wait until I'm insured in February to be seen. Today it feels almost 100% normal (I can still feel a little discomfort if I swing my arm all the way back).

Please let me know if you need more money to answer this final question. Again, I will leave you excellent feedback and even recommend you if possible. I truly appreciate your time. Thanks again.

Kevin

Dear Customer, Thanks for coming back back to justanswer and thanks for appreciating my work. I am here to provide you complete satisfaction.

Stiffness in joint, can occur with Arthritis. It is possible that you may be suffering with Shoulder Arthritis. It typically affects patients over 50 years of age. You may need X-ray of affected joint for diagnosis. This is not related with gout, as it usually affects only small joints.

It is good to hear, that you are feeling completely normal at this time, But this condition, may get worse with time.
You can take painkiller occasionally and go for Hot fomentation.
In case, you don't get shoulder pain again, then you can wait till February.
I wish for your good health.

Thank you

Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for following up. That's very impressive.

It's been over 2 weeks without an anti inflammatory and my shoulder feels almost completely normal. I still wonder what on earth could have caused such pain and immobility out of nowhere. I suspect some underlying problem, but hopefully it can for a few months until I get insurance and see a doctor.

Again, thanks for following up. I will definitely use and recommend you should I or anyone I know need any medical advice in the future. Thanks again.

Thanks for coming back to justanswer.com and Thanks for appreciating my work.
It feels good to hear that your shoulder is almost normal. Your problem has come due to nerve compression. And with use of measures,as advised in previous post, such inflammation get resolve completely.

I wish for your good health.

Thank you