Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

i have a slight tear in my rotator cuff is surgery needed

The surgical indications are dependent on the following criteria (medical imaging like MRI alone are not the decision maker for the surgery);

1) intensity of the pain. If the pain is significant, and does not respond to physical therapy, deep electrotherapy and steroid shots, surgery may be considered.
2) restriction of the movement. If the movements do not improve, with the physical therapy, surgery would be needed.
3) pain and movements not responding to conservative treatment.
4) medical imaging finding like MRI which show significant tear. A small tear usually does not require surgery.

Thus if your symptoms are not responding to the conservative measures; despite the small tear, surgery may be necessary. If you have not tried, physical therapy and deep electrotherapy (iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation); these would be strongly recommended in slight tear as these are beneficial to resolve the symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.