Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

My son was bit by his ball python. What should we do

Hello.

I noticed that your question had not been answered yet (someone was looking at your question earlier, but did not reply to you, I see now)

From what I have found, Ball python bites are not harmful as far as venom. But of course, any bite or break of the skin has potential for infection. Is your son up to date on his tetanus shots? If not it would be important to get a tetanus shot. If he is up to date on his tetanus, and the wound is not deep requiring sutures, then it is very important to clean it well (a good dunking in warm soapy water or a solution of water and betadine). Then apply antibiotic ointment. Observe the wound for redness and inflammation. A small amount is normal, but if redness or swelling begins to increase or does not go away, if any red streaking from the wound is visible at all, then see the doctor immediately.

If the wound is large, it would be advised to, after cleaning the wound, go ahead and see the doctor so it can be determined if sutures are needed and a course of antibiotics.

Please write back with the reply button if you have any further questions about this. I am standing by. Please do not rate me until you are satisfied with your answer. Again, I will look to see if you reply or have further details that you need clarifying.