Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Sore throat very red rasht like on throat and soft palate uvula

Sore throat very red rasht like on throat and soft palate uvula swollen just finished antibiotics and prednisone seemed to make it worse ....antibiotic was zpak and red veins on soft palate and back of throat raw and hurts ....what is it? Please help I do smoke
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have this sore throat & other symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
For how many days you have taken antibiotic?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a sore throat a long time now but after the antibiotics they got worse 4 days ago . Had sore throat for a few months ent doc said allergies and allergic rhinitis just from looking at my throat. I took zpak antibiotics 250 mg a day for five days , first day take two didn't take last day of antibiotics that's when I started feeling worse
Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Although most of sore throats/raw throat are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.
Strep can not be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone.It requires a laboratory test.A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.

Smoking is a common cause of swollen uvula.Smoking and other pollutants or irritants dry up the uvula and cause itching, which causes the swelling.

Although you have taken zpak antibiotics 250 mg a day for five days,but it has not provided you relief instead has made it worse.So the possibilities of causes are:Either a viral infection or an allergic reaction or a resistant bacterial infection.

You need following test:

-Throat swab for culture
-Rapid test for step infection
-Upper endoscopy
-Larngoscopy

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your otolaryngologist for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till then following will help you greatly:Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup into small medicine cup and gargle with it. Try to keep the syrup towards the back of your throat for as long as he can.Gargling with lukewarm saline water is one of the best remedies.Take tablet benadryl (anti allergic) once a day.. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription.Avoid smoking.All this will help you greatly.

Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you mean take claritan once a day or did you mean benadryl? And gargling with diphenhydramine is benadryl correct? P.s. Thank you very much also have had upper endoscopy a few years ago everything was fine they said ...I have gerd take prilosec for it just FYI . Again thanks your awesome someone who actually listens and explains things thank you again ....
Dear XXXXX,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Claritin (loratadine) is an antihistamine used to treat the symptoms of allergies.it does not cause drowsiness.Benadryl is another anti histamine but it causes drowsiness.You can take either tablet one of them.

And you can gargle with benadyl.Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup(benadryl) into small medicine cup and gargle with it.

Although you may had upper endoscopy a few years,a repeat endoscopy is required now especially as you had history of GERD as it can be a cause of your symptoms.

Thank you for the words of appreciation.Also please do not forget to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.

Hope this helped.& I had provided you an excellent service.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist