Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Red rash on soft palate uvula and throat. What is this?

Sore throat very red rash like on throat and soft palate uvula swollen. Just finished antibiotics and prednisone. Seemed to make it worse, antibiotic was z pak and red veins on soft palate and back of throat raw and hurts. What is it? Please help. I do smoke.

Dear Customer,

I need the following information from you so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long you have this sore throat & other symptoms?

Have you undergone any tests so far?

For how many days you have taken antibiotic?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had a sore throat a long time now but after the antibiotics they got worse 4 days ago. Had sore throat for a few months. ENT doc said allergies and allergic rhinitis just from looking at my throat. I took zpak antibiotics 250 mg a day for five days - first day took two. Didn't take last day of antibiotics, that's when I started feeling worse.

Thanks for the valuable info you had given. I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Although most of the sore throats/raw throats are caused by viral infections, but this can also be bacterial like strep throat. It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat. It is caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria. Strep cannot be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone. It requires a laboratory test. A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection. Smoking is a common cause of swollen uvula. Smoking and other pollutants or irritants dry up the uvula and cause itching, which causes the swelling. Although you have taken zpak antibiotics 250 mg a day for five days, but it has not provided you relief instead has made it worse. So the possibilities of causes are:

Either a viral infection or an allergic reaction or a resistant bacterial infection. You need following test:

-Throat swab for culture

-Rapid test for step infection

-Upper endoscopy

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination. So I advice you to make an appointment with your otolaryngologist for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly. Till then the following will help you greatly:

Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup into small medicine cup and gargle with it. Try to keep the syrup towards the back of your throat for as long as you can. Gargling with lukewarm saline water is one of the best remedies. Take tablet benadryl (anti allergic) once a day. It is available as OTC (over the counter) without prescription. Avoid smoking.

All this will help you greatly. Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service. Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you mean take claritan once a day or did you mean benadryl? And gargling with diphenhydramine is benadryl correct?

P.S. Thank you very much. Also I have had upper endoscopy a few years ago and everything was fine they said. I have gerd and take prilosec for it. Just FYI . Again thanks, you are an awesome someone who actually listens and explains things thank you again ....

I am happy to answer your follow up question. Claritin (loratadine) is an antihistamine used to treat the symptoms of allergies. It does not cause drowsiness. Benadryl is another antihistamine but it causes drowsiness. You can take either tablet one of them and you can gargle with benadyl. Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup (benadryl) into a small medicine cup and gargle with it. Although you may have had upper endoscopy a few years ago, a repeat endoscopy is required now especially as you had history of GERD as it can be a cause of your symptoms.

Thank you for the words of appreciation. Hope this helped & I have provided you an excellent service. My main motive is your satisfaction. If you still have any questions in mind, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards